SP101 357 mag sights issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NotSoFast

Bearcat
I'm having difficulty aligning my sight on my Sp101 .357 magnum. So far, in almost 100 rounds it has been hitting about 3" low pretty consistently at 7 yards.

Since it is a fixed sight and no rear sight, I called Ruger for help but all he could so is send me a replacement front sight and cross pin. I pulled my front sight and it is the same height (also measured it to be .142" as the Ruger rep said it should be.

I've tried everything but having someone else shoot it for me, i.e. using the tip of my finger, the center of the pad, and the joint of my trigger finger as the contact point, all to no avail. Presently I am using the top of the front sight and the top edges of the notch at the center of the target as my POA.

So here is my question. Have any of you had this problem? If so, what was your solution? AM I somehow using the wrong spot on the sight as my aiming point?

Chuck

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The SP-101 sights are pretty much set for full-house 158gr magnums. My gun shoots low with anything else. I just hold the front sight a little higher. :D

...Jimbo

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I've also seen some smiths, aftermarket of course, be able to router out
the topstrap of an SP101 and fit small adjustable sights in the resulting
groove. That might help a lot along with a taller front blade. If I can find
a link or pictures of that type of work for you, I'll post them here later.

NotSoFast

Bearcat
Skalkaho Slim":1x8b4qmc said:
What kind of ammo are you using?
I was using both .38 Special and full house .357 magnum rounds.

The .38 Specials were American Eagle with a muzzle velocity of 810 fps. The .357 Magnums were Corbon DPX range ammo with a muzzle velocity of 1300 fps. I saw little difference in the height of these two though. I was shooting at 7 yards.

KCUB":1x8b4qmc said:
Heavier and slower shoots higher.

It makes sense if you think about it.

As the gun recoils, the muzzle goes up.

The faster the bullet exits the barrel, the less it rises.

If you have to, go up to 200 grain yeti busters.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalo ... qev2afd5p5
Yes, it makes sense that the faster the bullet, the less chance for the barrel to rise. But, as I said above, I saw little difference at 7 yards. Could have been me though.

Since I do have a spare sight, I may try filing down the stock sight to bring up the pattern if I can't find something else. Later I do want to add the CrimsonTrace Laser grips. I have them on my pistol and I love them for low light shooting.

Latest posts