SP101 22rf pull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dddddmorgan

Bearcat
In my recent dealings I traded for (stated by owner and I believe him) an unfired SP101 in 22 rimfire.

Back home and cleaning and getting ready to shoot it does look brand new. I did find that the pull to cock the hammer and the double action pull is very heavy. The trigger pull from single action is fine but I'd like to do something about the other.

Is this a "break in" thing or should I look into a little gunsmith work?

I can manipulate the revolver just fine but I'd like it to be a little lighter pull so I can educate the grandchildren.

Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
They all seem to be "kinda heavy" in the trigger pull dept. Part of it is the design, and part of it is the newness.
If you are comfortable with disassembly & reassembly, do so, and clean the internals,, and look for any burrs or whatever. Just be very careful with any filing or stoning.
If not,, a good gunsmith can smooth up the action, to where it's doesn't feel as heavy.
I don't recommend a lighter spring,, as it can sometimes cause mis-fires.

But,, a lot of shooting, and a lot of dry-firing, (with snap caps,) can also smooth it up.

bigfuzzy

Bearcat
some fine sand paper and a Wolf spring kit will work wonders.
don't go too light on the hammer spring.
there is a utube vid. to watch that helps

dddddmorgan

Bearcat
I'm thinking about taking it apart and cleaning, polishing things up, I'm sure there is room for smoothing. I am going to order a shim kit for the trigger and hammer as well there's room for improvement there.

While I'm at it I'll probably go ahead and do some springs as well. I'm leery of worrying about a lighter hammer spring (especially) since it's a rimfire.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd do the polishing & shim thing BEFORE even trying different springs. I can show you guns with original springs that are so slick & smooth after a proper action job that you will think they have a much lighter trigger pull, or spring weights than they do.

When I got my sp101 22lr new a few years ago it had several issues. I called Ruger and they sent me a shipping label to send it back. I wrote them a letter telling them what was wrong with it. I said and while you are at it see what you can do about the hard trigger pull. I'm an old man and it was very hard to pull the trigger. I got it back and it had a much better trigger. Still pretty hard but tolerable. I noticed they had changed the hammer spring because this one was blue. I assume it was a lighter spring but I have not had any misfires.
20230529_162459.jpg

Last edited:

dddddmorgan

Bearcat
The single action trigger is fine by me but the double action pull is the issue. I'm wanting to work with the grandchildren using this revolver and I know they won't have the strength yet.