SP101 .22LR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

FergusonTO35 said:
I really, really hope Ruger puts the .22 SP into full production. I'll buy one if they're not backordered!!

I think they ARE in full production. The ones in the photos are serialed at over 1000, already......

w5lx

Single-Sixer
David-R said:
Ruger posted this on Facebook
Just to clear things up....
by Ruger on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 3:57pm

An article on a Ruger SP101 in .22 LR was recently published in the August issue of Guns & Ammo Magazine, which just hit newsstands. This article was inadvertently run, as Ruger is not producing a SP101 in .22 LR at this time. This model is not available for sale and we are sorry that this article gives that impression. Both Ruger and Guns & Ammo Magazine apologize for any confusion.- June 30, 2011

Sure is a lot of conjecture on this post. Didn't you guys read Ruger's response posted on page one?

DPris

Buckeye
Ruger doesn't put out dummy announcements or participate in shadow articles to gauge interest before putting a gun into production.

I've talked to one of my regular guys at Ruger about the premature release by G&A, he was not pleased about it & I have no reason to doubt him when he told me G&A understood the piece was not to be run till the gun was ready and Ruger made the announcement first.

In recent years Ruger has bent over backwards to avoid announcing new products before they were available through regular channels.

The old AWA did snooker me twice on guns they were running up the flagpole before deciding to put them in the regular pipeline, and those two were never subsequently carried after they ran in print.
One reason I stopped covering that company.

Ruger doesn't work that way.
Denis

louiethelump

Buckeye
seeker_two:

May I ask where the information that the 327 GP and BH are not selling well? I watch for a GP in 327 to go with my first one all the time, and I see cheap 357 GP100s but I don't see any cheap 327 GPs. If they are not selling well, wouldn't they be discounted? Same with Blackhawks; all of the few I see are at 500+ prices when I can buy Blackhawks in other calibers for less money........ That seems to indicate they are still going at full price..........

I am not saying you are wrong, just that the evidence I SEE seems to indicate otherwise. Is there some source where you got your information that you can share?

Thanks

Louie

RonS

Single-Sixer
http://www.facebook.com/Ruger#!/notes/ruger/just-to-clear-things-up/173308959400234

Here is a link to the Ruger response on facebook. It is pretty clear on what happened and when we can expect the SP101 .22LR to be available.

The forum software cut off the link, you have to scroll down to read the actual post, this just goes to the main Ruger FB page.

Guess we will see in about a month.

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
Jeff Quinn said:
I think that G&A (Intermedia) jumping the gun on the release was neither accidental nor inadvertent. They did the same thing with the Ruger SR1911 with the publication of the Shooting Times cover. Once is an accident. Doing it again is either extreme incompetence or unethical. I suspect the latter. Ruger is very good about trusting media folks to keep their word and keep a secret. At least they were. After the very unprofessional way that Intermedia has abused this trust, I doubt that any of us will ever get a preview of new products again.

Ruger is one of the best in the industry about going to a lot of trouble and expense bringing writers and TV folks out to give them an early look at new stuff, and to violate that trust is unprofessional and unethical.

Some people just suck, and there is no getting around that fact.

Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens. Should go hand in hand with responsible media.

seeker_two

Bearcat
louiethelump said:
seeker_two:

May I ask where the information that the 327 GP and BH are not selling well?

Basically info from gun dealers I've known....where they got it from, I don't know....

....but, just because prices on the .327's haven't gone down lately doesn't mean that they're selling like hotcakes. Ruger, the distributors, and the dealers have to make a profit over their initial investment...and that means there's a minimum that they can sell a gun for....you don't see discounts unless you have an overstock of inventory....and I don't see that Ruger is making all that many of them.....esp. when compared to the number of LCP's, LCR's, LC9's....and other guns that ARE hot-sellers......

Also, if the .327Fed is such a hot-seller, why hasn't it been taken up by any other major ammo manufacturers?.....like Hornady, Remington, or even Black Hills?......

Don't get me wrong....I like the .327Fed concept, and I WANT it to succeed....but can you show me where the .327 Blackhawks & GP's are selling at anywhere near the volume of Ruger's successful guns?.....

Flash

Buckeye
seeker_two said:
louiethelump said:
seeker_two:

May I ask where the information that the 327 GP and BH are not selling well?

Basically info from gun dealers I've known....where they got it from, I don't know....

....but, just because prices on the .327's haven't gone down lately doesn't mean that they're selling like hotcakes. Ruger, the distributors, and the dealers have to make a profit over their initial investment...and that means there's a minimum that they can sell a gun for....you don't see discounts unless you have an overstock of inventory....and I don't see that Ruger is making all that many of them.....esp. when compared to the number of LCP's, LCR's, LC9's....and other guns that ARE hot-sellers......

Also, if the .327Fed is such a hot-seller, why hasn't it been taken up by any other major ammo manufacturers?.....like Hornady, Remington, or even Black Hills?......

Don't get me wrong....I like the .327Fed concept, and I WANT it to succeed....but can you show me where the .327 Blackhawks & GP's are selling at anywhere near the volume of Ruger's successful guns?.....

Since you are making the claims, can you give us some facts on the Ruger sales figures? Exactly what is a successfully selling Ruger and how did you arrive at that? When something is introduced, does every gun owner have to instantly go out and purchase one to make it successful? If they're not selling so well, why isn't Ruger's distributor overloaded with them? They have zero Smiths, 4 Blackhawks, 4 SP101's but dozzens of Taurus revolvers. The reason nobody else is producing the 327 is because it's a proprietary Federal cartridge, but you probably already knew that. :roll: I own #130 Blackhawk and if they are dedicated to prefix 38 for the 327 Blackhawk, Ruger has produced over 7,000 already. Pretty good figures for something that isn't selling well.

RonS

Single-Sixer
I hope they will make the same barrel/sight configuration available in .327 and .357.

When I was young I always wanted a matched set of S&W 15 and 18s, this looks nearly as good, better if looking at new guns.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Flash said:
The reason nobody else is producing the 327 is because it's a proprietary Federal cartridge

That's the way I understand it as well. I wish that Federal could find a way to produce more of the 100 Gr soft point.

Happily the .32 H&R Mag cartridge is public domain and many manufacturers are loading it. Georgia Arms has some good JHP at decent prices.

gunman42782

Hunter
Well, guys, I don't presume to know how many guns Rugers sell, but I will say this. I work at a gun shop. We have all the Ruger makes of .327, as well as some from Taurus and Charter Arms. None of them sell worth a crap. We might sell one gun in this caliber ever 2 months. Notice I said "might". Now, when it first came out we sold a decent amount of them. Nothing to brag about, but they where kind of a hot item at first. Now, as I said, maybe one every couple months. I did sell one about a week ago to an older lady that could not handle .38/.357. Being able to take 4 different kinds of .32 ammo was a big selling point to this particular lady. I see the reason for the caliber, but most people are happy with the .357 that they can shoot .38s in and don't want to go out on a limb and buy a gun in a caliber that they are not sure there will be ammo available for it a few years down the road. (Think .480 Ruger, etc.)

Cordite

Single-Sixer
gunman42782 said:
... don't want to go out on a limb and buy a gun in a caliber that they are not sure there will be ammo available for it a few years down the road. (Think .480 Ruger, etc.)

There often isn't ammo for it now! Federal (ATK) has the exclusive rights to produce the ammo and they do not appear to be serious about producing it in any quantity.

Ruger and the other mfrs need to lean on ATK to produce more ammo or the whole .327 concept may dry up.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
RonS said:
I hope they will make the same barrel/sight configuration available in .327 and .357.

Nice idea RonS, now I need a 4" SP101 .22 AND a .357!

M'BOGO

Buckeye
As for the early drop in the Intermedia, it may be a hint of their waining circulation. From my POV, their "quality" dropped noticeably after Intermedia took over. After Col Cooper passed away, the last of my subscriptions ran out from the intermedia group. Shooting Times ran out before that, and the newer format wasn't missed. I feel they are a waste of good paper, would much rather have those trees producing Oxygen.

seeker_two

Bearcat
Flash said:
Since you are making the claims, can you give us some facts on the Ruger sales figures? Exactly what is a successfully selling Ruger and how did you arrive at that? When something is introduced, does every gun owner have to instantly go out and purchase one to make it successful? If they're not selling so well, why isn't Ruger's distributor overloaded with them? They have zero Smiths, 4 Blackhawks, 4 SP101's but dozzens of Taurus revolvers. The reason nobody else is producing the 327 is because it's a proprietary Federal cartridge, but you probably already knew that. :roll: I own #130 Blackhawk and if they are dedicated to prefix 38 for the 327 Blackhawk, Ruger has produced over 7,000 already. Pretty good figures for something that isn't selling well.

1. Successful Rugers....LCR, LCP, SR9/SR9c, LC9....you know, the ones that they're making and selling MORE than 7000 units of....

2. I'm glad Ruger has produced over 7000 units...that's good...but not great....see #1.....and just because Ruger made them doesn't mean that they are selling....else, that number would be WAY over 7000....

3. If Ruger & the other manufacturers need to do anything, they need to pressure ATK to give up the "proprietary" exclusion on the .327Fed and get more ammo companies involved....either that, or "encourage" Hornady or other manufacturers to make a .32Supermag with ballistics that are surprisingly similar....

Flash

Buckeye
seeker_two said:
Flash said:

1. Successful Rugers....LCR, LCP, SR9/SR9c, LC9....you know, the ones that they're making and selling MORE than 7000 units of....

2. I'm glad Ruger has produced over 7000 units...that's good...but not great....see #1.....and just because Ruger made them doesn't mean that they are selling....else, that number would be WAY over 7000....

3. If Ruger & the other manufacturers need to do anything, they need to pressure ATK to give up the "proprietary" exclusion on the .327Fed and get more ammo companies involved....either that, or "encourage" Hornady or other manufacturers to make a .32Supermag with ballistics that are surprisingly similar....

You seem to answer your own questions, so to speak.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I'm not really wanting to keep the thread hijack going, but a couple of weeks ago Davidson's had six .327 Blackhawks in stock, the last time I looked a week later, there were zero in stock. It's more of a niche item than the LC9, like the .30 Carbine Blackhawk which has been cataloged since the days of the old model, which I'd bet has never set any sales records.