SP101 .22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimd441

Blackhawk
Not sure whether this belongs on the Revolvers or Rimfire forum. Mods, please edit as you see fit.

I won't go into the long details as to why, but I decided I would like the SP101 in .22. My very next trip to my indoor range I came out of the range area and into the store area, walked past the display case and guess what was staring at me? It was a technically used but claimed to be unfired (except for the test round) consignment gun. The gunsmith who inspected it found no indication of use, and neither did I. Anyway, it came home with me. My first range trip (80 rounds) was a pleasant experience. A few sight adjustments and my second range trip (80 rounds) made me wonder why this gun isn't as ubiquitous as the 1022. What a great fun gun to shoot! The green fiber optic front sight means no more struggling with black bullseyes and black front sights (like with my S&W 617). The attractive wood and rubber grip fits me well (I'm not a big guy) and is attractive. The gun locks up like a vault, and functions flawlessly. The limiting factor on accuracy is yours truly. My only regret is that I didn't get one years ago.

Jim

I've said many times that mine is an absolute tack driver and a pleasure to shoot. That gun goes to the range with me virtually every trip. I did some cleanup work in the trigger group which smoothed thing up but after thousands of rounds through it the single action trigger pull on that gun is every bit as good as my Match Champion.

pastorp

Bearcat
I have spent money on Ruger SP 101 triggers and I've also just shot them in. The end result is about the same. The triggers do seem to smooth up just fine with use.

jimd441 said:
made me wonder why this gun isn't as ubiquitous as the 1022. What a great fun gun to shoot!
Jim

I've shot several and they never did much for me personally.
They are both too big and too small at the same time.
Not very good triggers ( agree easily corrected ) rough around
the edges and those nasty green dot sights. Again all this
could be fixed. For me .22 DA revolvers need to go more along
the lines of the GP22 or 10 shot S&W. Either that or smaller
and lighter like the LCR.
Lots of choices so everybody gets to pick what they like.
Dave

kwh

Bearcat
Agree the SP101 is fun to shoot. Do not know why,maybe it is like Dave P. said. It is "Goldilocks" in size >> not too big & not too small.
Uses 22 L.R. so can shoot 200 rounds without burning up the pocket book. Use cheap ammo (.03/round) because it does not have to cycle a slide.
More fun, i.e. easier and quicker, to load a cylinder than a magazine. Dump ammo out in one spot= easy range clean-up. More fun to shoot D/A than S/A. Practice drills. Move target out to 20 yards for S/A. Great trigger after different springs, polish, shims and thousand of rounds fired.
Bought my 101 at the beginning of the last ammo shortage and a brick of ammo. After that it was impossible to find .22 for less than price of 9mm for years. When .22 ammo was available again I buy it by case of 5,000. Learned my lesson so I now have enough .22 for about 1 year.
Also have SP101 .38 Spl. and .327 Federal Magnum. Plenty of powder and primers to reload.
Ruger Mark 1, & Ruger SR .22 All are fun in different ways.

LMLarsen

Bearcat
I enjoy shooting mine, with a single exception: trigger return is downright crunchy.

A Wilson spring kit lightened the pulls but something inside needs to be smoothed out, and I can't find it. So until I can get it to a smith, it sits in my safe.

LMLarsen said:
I enjoy shooting mine, with a single exception: trigger return is downright crunchy.

A Wilson spring kit lightened the pulls but something inside needs to be smoothed out, and I can't find it. So until I can get it to a smith, it sits in my safe.

If you're comfortable with it you'll need to disassemble your trigger group, the trigger plunger, cylinder latch and associated springs must work flawlessly and smooth if you're gonna use a lightweight trigger guard latch spring. Also be sure the bore that the latch spring lives in is clean and smooth. I've tried every spring combination available in mine and have found that the stock latch(return) spring gives a solid and smooth trigger return.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Interesting to read of trigger return issues, mine doesn't return normally after firing about 1 in 50 shots. It sort of hangs up and I can release it by tapping it. I didn't mention it because I figured it is due to gun being new and with use it will loosen up and all will be well.

Jim

Snake45

Hawkeye
I've never shot one, but I did get to handle one at a gun store and was VERY impressed. If I didn't already own two .22 Smiths and two .22 Colts, I'd be looking to buy one.