sp101 2" or 3"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Knuckles

Buckeye
Well' I guess the question is "did Ruger build an SP101 .38spl with the longer bbl?"... if so, then you can most likely find them out there... I don't know the answer. :oops:

welder

Buckeye
In that case, the 3" won't be any harder ( except as I'm told, to find the right holster ). I would go with the 3" for the better sight picture. QUOTE

I solved the holster problem when I found Fist Holsters. On their sight you can have them make your holster for any length you choose. I have had two holsters made by them and was well satisfied with the quality and price/service of both.

fwellers

Bearcat
Thanks Welder. I'll check them out.

Any appreciable difference in percieved muzzle blast between the 2" and 3" to speak of ?

I like the 2" for more ease in concealability, but I like the 3" for what I think would be more easy in shootability.

Thanks,
floyd

welder

Buckeye
I've had both and much prefer the 3". The blast is large from both, but I believe their is enough difference to consider, plus an increase in velocity. The three inch barrel just shoots much better for me and seems more balanced. I wouldn't argue with anyone over it but I sold my 2" in favor of the 3. The longer barrel is no more difficult to conceal than the 2" in my opinion. Good luck on whatever you choose, you really can't go wrong with either. If you could try them both out first would be best, but I know this is not always possible.

Snobal

Bearcat
welder":1bws8ftf said:
I've had both and much prefer the 3". The blast is large from both, but I believe their is enough difference to consider, plus an increase in velocity. The three inch barrel just shoots much better for me and seems more balanced. I wouldn't argue with anyone over it but I sold my 2" in favor of the 3. The longer barrel is no more difficult to conceal than the 2" in my opinion. Good luck on whatever you choose, you really can't go wrong with either. If you could try them both out first would be best, but I know this is not always possible.

(What he said! 8) )

Landric

Bearcat
knuckles":2sp2ugji said:
Well' I guess the question is "did Ruger build an SP101 .38spl with the longer bbl?"... if so, then you can most likely find them out there... I don't know the answer. :oops:

They did, its no longer in production, like a lot of variations of the SP101. There was a run a few years back of the 3" version in .38 Special. I saw a number for sale with Uncle Mikes Boot Grips, but I haven't seen any recently. Wish I had bought one as they were well under $400 NIB.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Just a reflection here as I was browsing the web last week.

The 9mm round comes in with way higher performance specs. than the 38spl/38spl+p.
My mind has been changed... I just don't see any reason at all to go for a .38spl "only" gun.
Velocity and energy of 9mm are easily higher than 38spl+p's.

If you're never going to use 357mag, then the 9mm is the way to go with the SP101.

fwellers

Bearcat
Thanks again for all the replies.
I am thinking very seriously about getting that 3" 357 on gunbroker and having it shipped right to Gemini for action tuning, polish hone, chamfer all the workings and holes, bead blast.
not sure if I want to have the hammer bobbed or not.

Knuckles, I've been reading a little about round ballistics, just finished a good book by Massad Ayoob. My understanding is that 9mm isn't as good of a defense round as a 38sp+p, I think because it's so darn fast it doesn't have good enough stoppign power. It just goes right through instead of flattening out. Also because it goes it penetrates so much, it can be dangerous to others.
But I'm just spouting what I've read, not having that expertise myself.

Knuckles

Buckeye
fwellers":1u9d9dc9 said:
Thanks again for all the replies.
I am thinking very seriously about getting that 3" 357 on gunbroker and having it shipped right to Gemini for action tuning, polish hone, chamfer all the workings and holes, bead blast.
not sure if I want to have the hammer bobbed or not.

Knuckles, I've been reading a little about round ballistics, just finished a good book by Massad Ayoob. My understanding is that 9mm isn't as good of a defense round as a 38sp+p, I think because it's so darn fast it doesn't have good enough stoppign power. It just goes right through instead of flattening out. Also because it goes it penetrates so much, it can be dangerous to others.
But I'm just spouting what I've read, not having that expertise myself.

It is a matter of grains... 158gr. and up is better.

cwegga

Bearcat
welder":36cvffko said:

I agree some and disagree some. I have the 3". One of the main reasons is because it visually balances better. :roll: I know, I know that is a froofy reason.

I think the 3" is a little harder to hide than the 2" would be. Because of how I sit/where I wear my holster, sometimes the end of the barrel digs into what I'm sitting on and tries to push my belt/pants up. This is theoretical since I don't have a 2" but I think the extra 1" would help.

That said I wouldn't switch because I like my 3" so well. For me it's a good compromise between a CC piece and woods walking piece. I wouldn't mind having both though... :D

Landric

Bearcat
If anyone is looking for a 3" .38 Special SP101, there is one available here at a good price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =143554466

I'd get it myself, but I need a new vehicle right now more than I need another SP101.

As for 9x19 vs .38 Special in a small revolver, I'd go .38 Special every time. Moon clips work OK (especially for reloads), but the .38 Special is a lot more versatile, especially for a handloader. I've shot "the" Keith load out of my 2 1/4" SP101 (13 grains of 2400, 173 grain SWC-way over .38 Special max) with no ill effects, and got an average of 1096 fps. A 3" gun would probably get at least 1150 fps with the same load (it hit 1205 fps average in a 4" barrel). Try that with a 9x19mm. The .38 Special SP101s are exactly the same as the magnum ones, save the depth of the chamber, so they can take a lot.

Please note I am not suggesting anyone else shoot way over max .38 Specials, just saying that I have safely. YMMV.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Floyd,
You will not regret going with the 3" .357 SP101. I started with the 2.25 in .38 SPecial, moved to the 2.25 in .357 and now have two 3" .357's and a third on layaway. The new one will get a spurless hammer treatment and Crimson Trace grips. If you shoot .38s in your .357 you will get some carbon and lead build up in the chambers. Just run a .357 Magnum (.357 Maximum is even handier) into your expanding die and flare the case mouth out wide. When you push this into the chambers for cleaning it will scrape off most of the .38 crud that builds up. If you don't reload tap a bottle-neck rifle case into the case mouth and it will flare it out the mouth enough to work as a scraper.

Best Regards,
ADP3