SP101---2.25" or 3.06" barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
For a dedicated nightstand gun I'd go with the longer barrel. The extra length will not limit your usage in any way and will give you slightly better velocity and a more stabilized bullet.

Plus everyone enjoys an extra inch if barrel in the bedroom! :shock:

APEXDUCK

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
My personal opinion is: for in-home defense, 3/4" isn't going to make a difference at that range. Unless, you live in a trailer house and are shooting from one side of it to the other. Either one will work great.

I'm picking up my 2.25" .357 factory CT grip this week. Can we say, EXCITED!?!?!? lol

Knuckles

Buckeye
Dueeast":2ksjje4w said:
I'm getting a second SP101 .357 for a dedicated nightstand gun. I'll load it with .38+P (for wife/recoil) and put CT laser grips on it. I can't decide on barrel length. Your opinions would be appreciated. :?

Even the +3" bbl SP101 conceals very well... sounds perfect for what you want it for.

The only reason I went with the 2.25"bb is because that's the DAO choice.

Bud (knuckles)

smokehouse

Bearcat
I'm getting my wife a 2.25" .357 for my wife for when I'm away...loading it with some .38 +P...I normally keep my 9mm XDm but she's not a fan of it.

Just went and looked at the 101 last Friday as a matter of fact, very impressed with the build, can't wait to get one.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Since you asked for an opinion, I'll give you mine. Get the 3" barrel length. Just because that baby will "live" in the night stand doesn't mean that it can't ever come out to play. (You need to shoot your defence tools often). Anyway, then why the 3" barrel? Because they will stay planted in a holster a little better than the shorter barrel due to the center-of-gravity being lower. short barrels can feel top heavy while in a holster, sometimes. Amatures may refute this fact, though.

Also, the sight radius will be improved and muzzle flip will be lower with the 3" barrel. Velocity will also be improved with the longer barrel. Now, when I say things like "better" and "improved" I don't mean by a whole heck of a lot. However, it IS going to be better and improved to some slight extent, and for this reason, the 3" barrel gets my vote. I mean hey, it's still a gun with a very short barrel, in the end (the 3 incher).

Damageinc

Bearcat
I'm looking for the same as you. I like the 3" barrel as well but they are very hard to come by for some reason. Anyone know why?

Damageinc":1jx9v7og said:
I'm looking for the same as you. I like the 3" barrel as well but they are very hard to come by for some reason. Anyone know why?

My opinion is that the balance is just better with the 3" and the SP101 frame size.

I vote also for the 3", but I have a 3" SP101 as my carry weapon.

My GP100 SS 4" is my bed side gun. Those are the only two Rugers I own...currently, but they are favorites. :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
OK, a little different take. Forget the laser sights and get a 4 inch GP-100 for a house gun. If the gun is going to be your second gun you might as well move up a little. The GP has a better trigger, better recoil mannagement, 6 rounds, and better sights. :D

...Jimbo

Jimbo357mag":2o2tjetz said:
OK, a little different take. Forget the laser sights and get a 4 inch GP-100 for a house gun. If the gun is going to be your second gun you might as well move up a little. The GP has a better trigger, better recoil mannagement, 6 rounds, and better sights. :D

...Jimbo

LOL. Good choice, Jimbo! I actually have three house guns. GP100 by the bedside, a H&K USP .45 in the console by my recliner, and a S&W 60-10 in the kitchen.

The only place that I do not have a firearm that I can reach out a few feet and have handy is the bathroom. :lol:

Elmer

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag":doxgv39b said:

...Jimbo

+1 on this. Due to circumstances, I currently have a 2.25" .38 SP-101 for a house gun but I plan on upgrading to a 4" GP-100 when I am able.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
If I'm alone ...... I take mine with me to the room of higher learning.

I vote for a four inch Security Six for a night gun.

I own a 3 inch SP101 and really like it ...... if that was all I had ..... it would be fine ..... particularily with a CT grip.

My other top choice for a night gun is my Smith 629 Mountain gun but I figure that less sheet rock will need replacing with the .357 if the SHTF occurs.

If I have to step outside after dark, I switch from the Sec Six to the Mountain gun when the bears are "game on".

Three 44s

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
WendyZXZ":38d9ea0s said:
The only place that I do not have a firearm that I can reach out a few feet and have handy is the bathroom. :lol:

That's where I keep my 870! :wink: j/k

Knuckles

Buckeye
Three44s":13e8eb5p said:
If I'm alone ...... I take mine with me to the room of higher learning.

I vote for a four inch Security Six for a night gun.

I own a 3 inch SP101 and really like it ...... if that was all I had ..... it would be fine ..... particularily with a CT grip.

My other top choice for a night gun is my Smith 629 Mountain gun but I figure that less sheet rock will need replacing with the .357 if the SHTF occurs.

If I have to step outside after dark, I switch from the Sec Six to the Mountain gun when the bears are "game on".

Three 44s

The sheet-rock comment comes up a lot with regards to home defense.
I hung enough of it in my younger days to know this fact...

... if you have drywall sheets stacked up touching one another it is very strong, but if you put collapsible space between the boards you can throw a broom handle "javelin style" through 3-4 pieces.

So the over-penetration theory is debunked... a .22 can get somebody in the next room if the Lord lets it go that way.

My theory... don't freak'n miss!... or don't pull the trigger!

Home defense= what ever you got. :wink:

RH45w002-1.jpg

Home defense=
Picture156-1.jpg

Home Defense=
pix1926686250.jpg

Three44s

Single-Sixer
It's not that I am worried about over penetration ...... our nearest neighbors are 800 yds away and most are at least a mile away. It's just a bigger hole in everything and I almost universally load cast slugs in the .44s for best penetration.

With the Security Six, I'm generally loading 125 JSP ....... better two legged coyote medicine.

As fond of the .44s as I am, I weigh the collateral damage of a cast .44 slug to the house versus less over travel of a jacketed .357.

Three 44s

I agree with the other Jimbo, if it's to be primarily your house gun. Make it the 4" bbl. And the GP can go on camping trips and hikes and be more 'productive' with the extra round.
But I do have the 3" SP101 and like it quite a lot. It's not a very good "pocket gun". :lol: