SP with some Badgers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

White Willie

Bearcat
Got these Badgers last week. Very nice feel, except for a slight mismatch of the two halves of the grip. It may be I can just uninstall and reinstall with an eye toward lining the halves up better. Otherwise, a little sanding will resolve. These are much more concealable than the Hogues I was using.

Badger2.jpg

Badger1.jpg

rhatimi

Bearcat
Those are awesome grips, nothing like laminate and stainless to really set of the beauty of the gun.

harrydog

Bearcat
They look great!
Have you had a chance to do any shooting with the Badger grips installed? I'm wondering how comfortable they are, especially with .357

White Willie

Bearcat
Hey Harry. I haven't yet shot the gun with these grips. I shot last Thursday and got the grips Friday. My only concern is the grips are pretty slick. I may end up putting some rubberbands or tennis racket tape around the grip fo better traction. If the guns rotates backwards, at least there is no hammer spur to bite me. I'll have to see how they behave.

cdnbacon

Bearcat
I have used a set of Badger boot grips on my sp101 for several years now. I find them to be very comfortable for all 38spl loads and not too bad for light 357s. Control is excellent. And contrary to what you might expect, I find them to "grip" better if my hand is slightly warm/sweaty? I think it has to do with the resin in the laminate for lack of a better term. With dry hands after washing or in cold winter air, I find the grips a little slick..... and use rubber bands for winter. I dremmeled out the left grip panel to permit easier speedloading and to better release ejected casings. I had slight alignment issues with the left and right panel as well and played with masking tape to "shim" one side to fit better. Sorry for the long winded reply....I am a fan of Badger grips.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
The hands of all primates sweat. It helps us hang onto thing that we have to grip; such as tree limbs and revolver grips. A smooth surface, such as those on your fancy grips is not condusive to dry hands. But fear not, if you ever need to really use those grips, your hands will immediately sweat from fear, anger, desperation, etc.

That said, I actually prefer the very easy to hold, black, factory grips that some with the SP101. They are smaller and conceal better.

GKC

Blackhawk
I just got a SP101, and the grips have a hard ridge around each screw hole. At first I thought it was the edge of the screw, and perhaps needed to be tightened down, but as I looked closer I could see a circular ridge around each hole...it actually digs into my palm. I've ordered the Hogue grips from the Ruger website, so that will take care of that. I like the look of the Badger (and other wooden/laminate) grips, but Hogues just feel better to me.

Of course, I had already ordered and paid for the order online, and THEN noticed the registration card that gives a 20% discount code when you register online. :?

Flash

Buckeye
teuthis":3mj0uv7y said:
The hands of all primates sweat. It helps us hang onto thing that we have to grip; such as tree limbs and revolver grips.

I am a bipedal mammal, you........can be a primate. :lol:

I just got a SP101, and the grips have a hard ridge around each screw hole. At first I thought it was the edge of the screw, and perhaps needed to be tightened down, but as I looked closer I could see a circular ridge around each hole...it actually digs into my palm.

I agree. I recently bought a new SP101 and have the same issue with the grip screw and surrounding ridge. I going to grind that mess down or replace the grips.

I like the gun but I'm really surprised Ruger would design/sell a gun with that poor of a grip attachment design. Of course I did buy it, I guess that's one reason they produce them that way.

I guarantee you that one would long and hard to find any other brand name revolver or even a hammer or screwdriver with a bad designed handle like that.

It reminds me of a small scale version of a license plate bolt.

What is it I read somewhere? Something like, "Rugers are more substantial but less refined than S&W"

JC676

Bearcat
White Willie said:
Got these Badgers last week. Very nice feel, except for a slight mismatch of the two halves of the grip. It may be I can just uninstall and reinstall with an eye toward lining the halves up better. Otherwise, a little sanding will resolve. These are much more concealable than the Hogues I was using.

Willie,

When you installed the Badger Grips, did you make use of the "cross pin" that comes with the original grips? I'm not sure what the proper name of this pin is, but it is the one that, after sliding on the factory grips, slides left-to-right through a hole in the grips and keeps the grips from slipping down.

When I first got my Badger Boot Grips, I installed them without using this pin and I too couldn't get the grip halves to perfectly match up. But, when the pin is used, they match up perfectly on my SP.

Regards,
Jon

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
JC676":1e1gipbt said:
White Willie":1e1gipbt said:

Willie,

When you installed the Badger Grips, did you make use of the "cross pin" that comes with the original grips? I'm not sure what the proper name of this pin is, but it is the one that, after sliding on the factory grips, slides left-to-right through a hole in the grips and keeps the grips from slipping down.

When I first got my Badger Boot Grips, I installed them without using this pin and I too couldn't get the grip halves to perfectly match up. But, when the pin is used, they match up perfectly on my SP.

Regards,
Jon

I too found the panels not lining up, until as Jon stated. The pin was the solution.
Why not try it before sanding those fine looking grips.
Tom

White Willie

Bearcat
Thanks guys. I did not have the pin installed. I was able to corretct the problem by loosening the grip screw, aligning the two halves, and tighening the screw again. Everything seems fine now.

Latest posts