SP-101 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerLiberty's

Single-Sixer
I'm looking to buy an SP 101 soon and just want to pick your brains on the differences of barrel length etc. I'm partial to the .357 but am not against getting a .327 since it has the 6 round cylinder.

Is the shorter barrel much of an advantage for concealed carry?

How much does the shorter barrel affect shot accuracy?

Can you find the .327 with the crimson trace laser grip?

As far as choosing a model with a hammer or DAO...I figure that is just personal preference.

Thank you

It is amazing how much more time it takes to clear leather with a 3 inch vs 1 7/8 inch barrel charter arms .38 I used to have. It seems to take forever. I don't think the longer barreled SP is more accurate than the shorter barrel (I have a 3 inch my son the 2 inch). it has to do with what you want and how it will be used. Easier to find concealment leather for the 2 inch. Personally I don't like 6 shooters cause the ammo in the boxes is 5 across and 10 deep.
gramps

Hillbilly Jim

Bearcat
You will not be able to discern any differences in accuracy.
I do not find there is any difference in concealibility in 3 inches vs 2 inches. Barrel length is not as important to me as firearm thickness and grip profile.
As to speed getting into action I find no difference.
Just my observations, I am sure some are better shots than me as well as faster.

White Willie

Bearcat
Hillbilly Jim took my answer. To what he said, I would point out the little extra barrel length is going down your pants leg, or wherever, so concealment is a non-issue, in our opinion.

I have a SP101 3" .357 that is what I carry. It has become one of my favorite revolvers.

Dress for carry with an appropriate holster and the shorter barrel is not that much of an advantage.

It will be interesting to learn how well the .327 performs in actual shootings if/when they get information. Looks potent on paper, but it IS a .32 albeit a more powerful one. I would feel more comfortable with more bullet diameter.

rich642z

Single-Sixer
Me,,,,,,,the one I own and carry is my SP101 in 2.25 inch barrel with a Don Hume 715mtb and a 72 something open top. And,,,,,,4 5 shot speedloaders,2 in each pocket. thats all I need. Or, my 4 in SS ruger 6 shot GP100 also in a Don Hume snap top owb holster. rich642z :twisted:

slowrider

Single-Sixer
The Buda, TX Cabelas currently has 4 used SP101's in .327 each priced at $350. I was just there tonight and almost pulled out the plastic but I don't really need a .327. They looked in good condition to me but I didn't pay much attention to barrel length.....was looking too hard at the price tag. Quite a deal if you are looking for one in .327. I think Cabelas will ship from one store to another for little to no addl charge.