SP-101 missing the hammer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
I picked up a SP-101 as part of a trade other day, so I do not know its history.

It is a 357 with a three-inch barrel (properly screwed-in / aligned!) and Hogue grips, but is missing its hammer assembly. All the other parts are there - main spring strut / main spring / stirrup / hammer pivot pin - everything except the hammer itself.

Trying to decide what to do with it: send it to Ruger for a check-out and missing hammer installation? Or to offer it for sell to someone who could use it as a basis for project? Or sell it to someone who has an extra hammer?

Any thoughts on what it might be worth, minus the hammer?

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Call Ruger and see how much they want to put a hammer in it. Around here the 3 inch model is rare and even used they go for good money. You might make some nice coin from selling the complete gun.

DPris

Buckeye
Not quite that simple.
Ruger won't sell you one without installing it themselves.
New hammers are hard to find, a used one may or may not fit correctly.
Denis

Hugh

Buckeye
I believe I'd let Ruger deal with it. If the hammer is missing what else may be wrong? I too have a SP-101 3-1/16" .357 and it is a keeper.

s4s4u

Hunter
DPris said:
Not quite that simple.
Ruger won't sell you one without installing it themselves.
New hammers are hard to find, a used one may or may not fit correctly.
Denis

Wasn't aware of that. No problem changing hammers on SA's. Never did a DA.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The re-sale value will be enhanced greatly as a complete gun.

Ruger hammers and parts are made to tolerances for interchangeability and are typically 'drop-in' replacements with very few exceptions. Do a search for 'Ruger hammer' or 'parts kit' on gunbroker and e-bay. One will show up.

You can always fall back to sending it back to Ruger if you don't find one. Just leaves a smaller profit margin in the re-sale for you.

DPris

Buckeye
Ruger is very strict about DA parts, most especially hammers & triggers.
SA hammers are not as restricted.

You may be able to locate one, it may or may not be new, it may or may not need fitting.
I'm just saying it's not as casual a matter as saying "Just buy a new hammer".
Denis

Thel

Blackhawk
Right now they are sold out but check Numrich (gunpartscorp.com) and one should turn up. As mentioned before note the caveat
about replacing hammers. So far I have been lucky with the ones I have gotten for a Speed Six, SP101 and a GP100. Once found
one in a gun shop using Google, too.

98Redline

Blackhawk
What is the harm in sending it to Ruger. I guarantee they have SP-101 hammers, and are normally pretty reasonable for installation costs.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the inputs and opinions. After mulling all the options over, and getting several offers to purchase it as is, I have decided to sell it "as-is" to a Forum member here.

Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your thoughts.

eveled

Hawkeye
Glad you found a buyer.

I was going to say if you did send it to Ruger, have both a spurless DAO and a standard hammer fitted. So you could switch back and forth. Ed

JmE

Single-Sixer
I've been told by gunsmiths and by Ruger that Ruger will not fit a hammer style other than what was shipped with the revolver; much less fit both. I had to swap hammers with someone here to get a spurred hammer on my spurless SP101. They were simple drop in replacements for both of us, BTW.

Edited: Changed "they" to "Ruger" in first sentence for clarity.

MCPO

Bearcat
Few yrs ago I had a spurless and called Ruger to see if I could buy a spur hammer or have them install one. They told me the same - only replace what was originally installed.

Dregg

Single-Sixer
I wanted a "Spurless Hammer" for my D/A SP-101 for years. I found one for sale here in the classifieds. I purchased it and it simply "dropped in". It shoots just fine.

eveled

Hawkeye
I should have known that was the case, but it seems pretty silly to me. I'm sure they have their reason. Ed

JmE

Single-Sixer
My guess is liability but that's only a guess. Give me a country where everyone is responsible for their own actions and I'll be happy. :wink: