SP-101 DOA Holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I am looking for a holster with a thumb strap for a DOA SP-101. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

recumbent

Buckeye
I carry mine in a Simply Rugged silver dollar pancake holster. No thumb strap, but retains the revolver very well.
https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Silver-Dollar-Pancake-SMALL-FRAME-REVOLVERS-Leather-Concealed-Carry-Holster.cfm?item_id=152&parent=669

Big Old Boy

Hunter
You could get a thumb strap but not necessarily needed. I use that holster for both my sp and lcr.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Thank you both. The agency I retired from requires a strap or you can surrender your retired carry permit and apply for a civilian CCW. The maker of my last holster died. Mine has started to show its age.

I have several Simply Rugged holsters, and I pretty happy with them. It's tough to make a strap work on a DOA, but the Simply Rugged covers the trigger and holds the gun in place. I haven't tried a hand stand, and as the old saying goes I'm to old to fight, and to fat to run, but I've never had a problem with my gun and I wear one everyday. I do NOT have any DOA guns, I like my guns to have an exposed hammer on them. If yours does, they do have a strap that you can use or take off as appropriate. I would say they offer tan, black and Ox blood (which costs extra and apparently takes quite a while to dry) so I typically go with the tan. There is a local guy here that doesn't do holsters full time but what I've gotten from him are excellent. Probably only 4-5 holsters. I prefer the Askins Avenger style and he does a good job with that.

recumbent

Buckeye
lfpiii said:
Thank you both. The agency I retired from requires a strap or you can surrender your retired carry permit and apply for a civilian CCW. The maker of my last holster died. Mine has started to show its age.
Interesting.
How do they know if yout holster has a strap or not??

kwh

Bearcat
Quick search showed :: Craft Holsters
on e-bay=:: Pusat holster and Bianchi 5

lfpiii

Blackhawk
[/quote]
Interesting.
How do they know if yout holster has a strap or not??[/quote]

Well if you ever have to use your gun it will be in the police report. All departments track all the equipment used in a shooting (leo or civilian). Also I am required to qualify every six months. Now that I'm in a wheelchair I am even more under the microscope.

robtom

Bearcat
Desantis makes a pancake style holster with thumb break strap for the SP101, I have one, works great.

recumbent

Buckeye
Interesting.
How do they know if yout holster has a strap or not??[/quote]

Well if you ever have to use your gun it will be in the police report. All departments track all the equipment used in a shooting (leo or civilian). Also I am required to qualify every six months. Now that I'm in a wheelchair I am even more under the microscope.[/quote]

Makes sense.
Thanks

woodsy

Blackhawk
Been wondering: what does DOA SP 101 mean? "Dead on arrival", or should it be DAO, double-action-only? Just wondering, as I said. I pocket-carry mine.