SP-101 design changes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mjolnir

Bearcat
If the clearance between the flat machined on the ratchet stem more closely matched the flat in the cylinder well, there would be less rotational play.

I have one SP that has excessive play, because the stem is a poor fit to the well, and times will not re-seat on the pins, because the holes no longer match up with the pins. A slight tap clock- or counter-clockwise then seats it. The act of loading rounds would accomplish the same thing, but this particular SP does not get the nod for carry duty.

Up to about 6 months ago, the holes drilled in the star were often quite a bit off, nearly touching an edge...there are photos of such poorly fit stars here in this forum. That may have been because the holes/pins in the cylinder were poorly located in the first place...misdrill the cylinder and now you have to misdrill the star to ensure correct timing!

I believe the new method is another cost-cutting measure, and maybe an attempt to improve quality, wherein they don't have to drill four holes (two in the star, two in the cylinder) and insert two pins. However, excessive rotational play, when the star is seated, is now ENTIRELY dependent on how small the clearances are between the star's arms and the cylinder cutout.

However, you've now lost the somewhat self-centering effect of the round pin ends (in effect cones) entering the cylindrical holes in the star.

For sure, (another) test before buying a new SP with this new star is to push the ejector rod all the way down, hold it, and rotate the star clock- and counter-clockwise to see how much rotational play exists...then let it seat, make sure it seats on its own, and see how much play exists when seated.

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
The local gun emporium got in a new SP101 in 327 Mag. The other changes that I have not seen posted is that it looks like the cylinder notches were moved on the 327 Mag. The cylinder lock (the thingy that pops up from the bottom to position the chambers) now sticks up almost .25" because the cylinder notches are now almost dead center between chambers. Also, the address is changed. On the left side of the barrel it now says

Read instruction manual
----------Ruger-----------
Newport NH USA

The other markings look the same. Interesting.

gobe

Bearcat
Tarheel":2z6e04ow said:
And in any case, does anyone think that there a better CC .357 out there? ....
Amen. It's kinda like Ioccoca said, "If you can find a better car out there ...... buy it!" I did, but I still admire him for saying it :wink:
I've got an SP-101 that I CC in the winter and a S&W 442 'always carry'.
I'll never get rid of either one!

DPris

Buckeye
In talking to Ruger, the locator pins were the cause of sticky extraction on some of the affected .327 Mag SPs, and the primary reason for the new versions.
I think it's a positive move and to Ruger's credit in improving the guns.

Denis

Mjolnir

Bearcat
UPDATE...Smithandwessonization of SP-101 continues!

Seen @ funshow yesterday, sorry no pics.

Cylinder stop now cast integral with frame, with metal bridge connecting to cartridge stop...similar to how S&W does theirs, but much less cleanly delineated, almost like a glob of molten steel solidified! Kind of ugly.

Seen on three new, recent production SP-101s...not a fluke. :shock:

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
An SP 101 in .44 special, now that would be something that I would remove the lock on my savings account for.

mcumpston

Bearcat
probably cost cutting measures. The loss of the recoil shield may not make any difference with a frame mounted firing pin but the old colt single actions would open up the firing pin hole and cause burrs- particularly with dry firing and it was advantageous to have a recoil shield that could be replaced if that happened.

Elmer

Bearcat
ftlupton":2vri21bs said:
An SP 101 in .44 special, now that would be something that I would remove the lock on my savings account for.

+1 on this!

nhlever

Bearcat
For years, the "D" shaped hole that locates the extractor was punched with a die. Since most cylinders at Ruger are now made on CNC machines it would be interesting to see if the "D" shaped hole is also machined as the ones on the newer S&W revolvers are. You can tell easily if there are small over cuts on each side of the D. (half the diameter of the cutter) I think they could control the size much better that way. With all the operations being done at the same time, the cylinders should be more consistant.

Bobshouse

Bearcat
Mjolnir":2pgkavwb said:
UPDATE...Smithandwessonization of SP-101 continues!

Seen @ funshow yesterday, sorry no pics.

Cylinder stop now cast integral with frame, with metal bridge connecting to cartridge stop...similar to how S&W does theirs, but much less cleanly delineated, almost like a glob of molten steel solidified! Kind of ugly.

Seen on three new, recent production SP-101s...not a fluke. :shock:

Mine is cast into the frame and its 3 years old.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
I think it's a smart move by Ruger to make all these changes. Saves them time & money & makes them more competitive, especially in the CC market.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
I bought my SP101/.357 through Davidson's in May of 2007. Not quite 3 yrs old but has the original design. Haven't fired that many rounds through it since then (only a few hundred) but have never noticed any extraction/insertion problems with ammo.

gak

Buckeye
BigBlock1":8m2stvna said:
knuckles":8m2stvna said:
Well' I have been preaching for a couple years now that Ruger does not take full advantage of "caliber possibilities" in many of there gun lines.

I will wait and see. :?

I think everybody has as long as Ruger has been in business. I don't know why they remain so stubborn on this issue... :roll:

At least they're consistent, this stubborness extends to their SA lineup as well :) ...but which they're also starting to correct themselves on.

We always hear from industry experts, pundits and the companies themselves about how hardcore, "bottomline" business/market decisions rule the roost, so when you see what certainly appear to be "done deal" market stars all lined up and nothing happens, it is puzzling.

Landric

Bearcat
ftlupton":3lt6s1pz said:

Me too. I'd love to see a SP in .44 Special and 5-shot cylinder with the same barrel length options. Since this would require enlarging the cylinder window, the new larger cylinder should also be able to fit 6 .38 Special/.357 Mag cartridges. Charter Arms does this with the Bulldog (5 shot .44) and Police Undercover (6 shot .38 Special). The Bulldog is almost exactly the same size as the SP overall, but SPs are ten times the gun Bulldogs are.