SP 101 Conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TandXC Official

Bearcat
Does anybody know how a .32 H&R Mag. SP101 could be converted to fire .32 Blackpowder blanks only? Or do you know of a gunsmith who could do the conversion? Because of restrictions by government and schools, Track Officials are not suppose to use "open barrel" pistols on a school campus. However, there is nothing on the market that compares to the quality, function, or convenience of a good quality stainless revolver such as the SP101. I assume that the cylinder would be shortened and a barrel plug inserted to deflect the gas/wad explosion.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I would think it would be more economical to convert a 22 caliber revolver to fire 22 blanks. Taurus makes or made some nice 7 shot 22lr revolvers in stainless steel. A box of 32 blanks looks like runs about $35 a box of 50 where 22 blanks runs $10 for a box of 50. Then you will have to find you a smith that can do the work.

This all doesn't take into consideration the legality of having a "firearm" on school grounds. I have no idea what the law would consider a "decommissioned" (i.e. no longer a firearm) firearm to be.

rhatimi

Bearcat
Please don't do that to an sp101, their to nice to die like that. sacrifice a taurus instead :lol:

cas6969

Buckeye
With a 32 SP101 and a .22 cylinder I don't doubt one of the custom smith could build what you want. The problem is you'd end up with a $1500 starters pistol. :shock:

TandXC Official

Bearcat
I do appreciate the replys. Since I already have an SP 101 and have used it for about 14 years for a Start gun, that was my first choice. Hate to do it, and now most likely won't. Anyway, using .22 blanks is not an option as they are not loud enough for some situations outdoor. Another brand would be okay if I could find a gunsmith to do it. I still conceal carry the SP101 from time to time and am not keen on losing that opportunity, besides it's darn fun to shoot.

TandXC Official

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Taurus and H&R both made 32's but don't anymore. Don't know how hard it would be find either one. Charter Arms still makes a 32 snub I believe. But for the cost of purchasing and converting you could probably pick up quite a few 32 blank firing guns that were designed for that. I can see the appeal of using one of your favorite guns for something like this, but I sure wouldn't want to destroy one over it. :)

TandXC Official

Bearcat
Thank you for the reply. The problem is not finding a .32 blank pistol. There are plenty out there. The problem is they are not good quality and last a short time, most do not have a swing out cylinder which is a real plus firing 100-150 rounds per meet

I have been reducing cost somewhat by handloading .32 mag and .32 with blackpowder but it is time consuming. This can't be done with a used blank shell but regular shells will reload nicely.

It looks like it is not cost practical to convert the Ruger and I expect that it won't happen. I am not happy with the conversion idea, but the Ruger is such a tough little gun it would last forever and give me an excuse to replace it. It would be nice to convince Ruger there could be a market (though small) for such an item.

Latest posts