SP 101 ammo question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dueeast

Bearcat
NJ (where the govt. knows whats best for you)
Reading the owners manual there is a 125 gr. bullet warning. I reads: (Some revolvers have a slightly shorter cylinder and frame and are therfore limited to the use of .357 Magnum ammunition with a maximum bullet weight of 125 grains and an overall loaded cartridge length of not more than 1.57 inches. These revolvers are roll-marked with "125 GR. BULLET" on the right side of the barrel). What revolvers are these? Older/newer? Certain models? I don't want to be restricted if I get another SP101. I'd hate to order one and have it come in with the restrictions. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :?

pisgah

Buckeye
Older. The original SP101 was chambered only in .38 Special. A few folks looked at them and figured they were sturdy enough to handle .357, so they lengthened the chambers and, lo and behold, everything worked nicely -- except that loads longer than those with 125 gr. bullets stuck out of the front of the cylinder just a wee bit. Shortly thereafter, Ruger began chambering for .357, with the 125-gr. restriction stamped on the frame. And a bit after that, they lengthened the frame and cylinder just enough to handle any .357 load.