SP-101 3" DAO Mods.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

White Willie

Bearcat
Hey guys. A couple weeks ago, I took my SP-101 to Teddy Jaconson (Actions by T) for some refinements. Well, I have my gun back and thought I'd show it off some.

Teddy did a complete action job (Street Reliability Package) on the gun. This involves a trigger job and the changing of springs to lighten the trigger. It also involves smoothing and polishing internal parts.

I also asked Teddy to bob the hammer. I was going to retain the SA capability but Teddy suggested that could be unsafe and recommended I convert it to DAO. So, I did.

At no charge, Teddy jeweled the cylinder back. Now it looks like a New Orleans pimp gun.

Anyway, as I expected, Teddy's work was superb. In the pics, you may notice this gun has some scratches and holster wear. This is not Teddy's doings. The gun gets carried.

SP1.jpg

SP2-2.jpg

SP3-1.jpg

SP4.jpg

In its Comp-Tac Undercover Pro holster:

SP5.jpg

SP6.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
That looks really nice. I want another .357 Mag, as it's one of the few calibers that I reload for. I've also contemplated a SP101 as I'm considering getting my CCW for Ohio. What kind of ammo does yours shoot well and what kind of accuracy is it capable of?

White Willie

Bearcat
Ferdinand":1mjnhq9i said:
That looks really nice. I want another .357 Mag, as it's one of the few calibers that I reload for. I've also contemplated a SP101 as I'm considering getting my CCW for Ohio. What kind of ammo does yours shoot well and what kind of accuracy is it capable of?

Hello Ferdinand. While have have a number of die sets, I only reload for .357, though I am a novice reloader at best. The die sets for auto calibers don't get much use becasue I'm too lazy to go chasing the spent cases.

In single action, i.e., before the modification to DAO, the gun shot very well with 110 grain loads at 7 yards. By very well, I mean excellent combat accuracy, maybe between 1 and 2 inches fired from a combat stance. Of course, SA is not practical for self-defense. With full house 125 grain loads in double action it, or I, did not do as well. (Not as well but I would not want to be on the receiving end.) My excuse is the stock rubber grips permitted my social finger from being banged, hard, against the bottom rear of the trigger guard with each shot Since these pictures were taken, I've mounted Hogue's wood grips to the gun. I had used the Hogues on this gun before the DAO conversion and they added a measure of comfort. (I took them off before bringing the gun to Teddy's shop.)

The gun is a work-in-process as I look for the ideal configuration of gun and grips. The Hogues are quite comfortable but detract from concealability.

Anyway, since the DAO conversion, I have not had the opportunity to shoot the gun. I expect better accuracy because the trigger is so much better. While I no longer have SA capability, in playing with the gun at home, I find I am able to bring the hammer well back and maintain a good sight picture soooo, maybe I'll be able to exhibit single action results.

White Willie

Bearcat
Rumrunner":2v2hkqu4 said:
Glad TJ is still doing actions. He did my GP100 a few years ago. Teddy does great work.

He is a master to be sure. He did a Makarov for me about ten years ago. (Teddy likes Makarovs and Rugers.) I must say the improvement in the Mak was even more dramatic that of the Ruger's.

I always enjoy my visits with him. He is a fount of knowledge and opinion and is quite a character. When I picked my gun up last week, he explained his neighbors hated him because he had cops from different agencies dropping off and picking up guns all the time. Of course the neighbors don't know why the cops visit him so frequently and must think he is under constant investigation.