sp 101 .22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Juan Gama

Bearcat
You see them every so often but not often enough, I think. I lucked into an ex-range .22 SP101 w/4" bbl. a couple of years ago, and despite its hard use and filthy condition it has turned out to be a remarkably accurate shooter. I would rather the rear sight was adjustable for elevation instead of just windage, but for a kit gun with known ammo it works out just fine.

Juan

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I have an SP101 in 22LR W/4" full lug barrel as well.

I love the thing. I use it a bit to keep myself in practice for my SP101 in 357. (A lot cheaper to shoot 300 rounds of 22 than it is of 357, even though I do reload).

It also makes a great kit gun.

I can not say if they are or are not rare. I can say that the prices have been increasing on them as of recent. $450 is considered a very good deal today, while many pay $550 and feel happy with the price. It is a desireable gun. While some may complain that it needs to shoot more rounds, or that it is too heavy, I really think it is about the perfect size for a rimfire handgun.

Charlie

pappyd

Bearcat
I haven't seen many 4" barrels around. Love to have one. I feel lucky to have recently picked up this 2" one.
P1000140.jpg

P1000145.jpg

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Scarce rather than rare. They are really, really overbuilt for that caliber. That being said they are a pleasure to shoot and a GREAT way to introduce new shooters to the world of pistols when combined with a 38/357 version of the same gun.

Start with CB caps, then move to LR, then shift to 38 target loads, standard loads or +P, then 1 or 2 magnums through the pipe if the shooter seems ready.

I am in the camp that it is great as a 6 shot, but would be the bee's knees if it were 7 or 8.