SP 101 2 1/4" Bobbed Hammer Revelation?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I hadn't really thought much about this gun until I picked one up the other day with the factory installed laser grips and watched that little red dot on the wall across the store refuse to move as I rolled the trigger through the five shot cylinder. I tried it again and the dot stayed put and I asked myself what reason I had for NOT carrying THIS little gun?

I've been using the Winchester White Box 110 grain hollowpoint .357s in my Security Six snubby, since they seem to offer (on paper, at least) adequate oomph! on the receiving end, without much recoil. And I'm concerned about over-penetration, so I don't really feel a need for the biggest, baddest screaming .357s out there. Seems like these would be a good choice for the SP, unless you guys have any better ideas.

But the Sec. Six isn't exactly a small gun. So honestly, I din't find yself carying it. What I do always seem to carry is one or another of my mouseguns (Bobcat .22 or KT .32) in a front pocket. So I'd like to get something that splits the difference: small enough to put on a belt under a short jacket, but of a large enough caliber to actually have some hope of being effective. And being more of a revolver guy, most of the subcompact 9mm, 40 & 45 autos don't do much for me. A J-frame seems to me to take up just as much space on my belt (they are too big for my jeans front pockets), while offering only .38 balistics in a hard-to-hit with format.

It seems that this version of the SP would make a nice little belt gun. The weight seems OK, a bit less than mid-sized semi-auto, but a little more than a run-of the-mill .380 or .38 snub.

So I thought, while looking at the SP the other day, maybe this is the way to go for my main carry-gun. I'm not sure if this is just my latest "cool gun" interest, or if I've really had a bit of practical insight.

For those of you who carry and shoot this gun, how is the recoil with the lighter .357 magnun loads? I've found pretty much everything I've tried shootable in my snubby Security Six, but that's a bigger, heavier gun. With any .38s, I'm sure the SP is a pussycat.

I like both the standard factory grips (from a handling perspective, aesthetically they suck) but think I'd probably go for the laser. Have any of you had problems with either of these grips sticking to your clothing? I'm used to smooth wood girps on my revovlers.

Finally, any good suggestions for a high riding hip holster (OWB) and a good, comfortable IWB holster? I wear a 1 1/2" belt.

JC676

Bearcat
WebleyMan,

I too recently switched my every day carry gun to the SP101 (mine has the 3.06" barrel) after years and years of carrying 1911's because I wanted something that was easier to carry and conceal. With the 1911, I felt as if the grip was always printing through my cover shirt unless I was wearing a heavy sweatshirt or jacket.

I replaced the factory grips with a beautiful set of Badger Boot Grips which do a remarkable job in helping control the full house magnum loads. For a holster, I chose the popular Silver Dollar Pancake by Simply Rugged. This holster can be worn as a strong side, cross draw or (with the optional straps) an inside the waist holster. Coupled with the Badger Boot Grips, the little revolver just disappears under a shirt. No printing concerns at all. I love this combination and never leave home without it, mainly because it is not a pain to wear!

I highly recommend both Badger and Simply Rugged.

Regards,
Jon

RugerSP101.jpg

bub

Single-Sixer
WebleyMan, the SP is an excellent carry gun. If I'm awake and dressed, my SP is on me, strong side IWB. It has enough weight that it is very shootable, but is still light enough to carry all day, every day. For me, the factory stocks (the older ones, rubber with the panels) are just perfect- just barely long enough for a full three-finger grip but small enough to hide very well under just a light t-shirt. I've never had trouble with the factory stocks sticking to a shirt.

I carry mine both on and off duty for my PD job and we are restricted by policy to .38+P ammo only (Win 125gr +P Silvertips). However, having said that, I have shot it quite a bit with the Win 110gr .357 ammo and even go so far as to carry a speed strip full of them (in addition to two speed loaders of "approved" ammo) in case I need more "oomph" (it's against policy, but if it gets so bad that I NEED the .357, it's bad enough that policy will have gone out the window). The load definitely has more recoil than our .38+P ammo but it is controllable and accurate. In fact, I find that even full-house 125gr .357 ammo really isn't too bad, either, but definitely has heavy recoil and slows follow up shots.

When I got mine, it had a hammer spur. I kept having trouble with it getting hung up on clothes while drawing, so I bobbed the spur myself. Now, no hangups and it draws fast. I wanted a "hammerless" when I bought mine, but none of the local shops had one and I didn't want to order one sight unseen. I did the "fluff and buff" using Iowegan's Gun Guide and the DA pull is very good now. Quite a bit smoother than the factory trigger and better, though a little heavier, than my S&W M649 Bodyguard that the SP replaced for carry. Here's a pic of mine.

sp-101-7.jpg

The SP is a spectacular carry gun and will serve you very well. Carry it, practice with it (INCLUDING RELOADING!) and I think you'll be very happy with it. I know I am, and there are LOTS of others out there who like it, too.

Bub

OysterMan

Bearcat
I have a 2 1/4" SP101 .357 with factory installed CTC grips in which I carry CorBon 38spl 110gr +P. Though I like to shoot .357 at the range, and it handles them well, I felt the ballistics gained with a .357 in a 2 1/4" barrel was minimal over the above carry load when compared to the flash and recoil. I like "minimal material" holsters and mine carries well in a OWB Don Hume JIT Slide on a Beltman 1 1/2" bullhide belt.

ip1rq0.jpg

bub

Single-Sixer
EricandSuebee, I honestly don't know, just a leather clip-on IWB holster. IIRC, it's a Bianchi but I don't remember. If I have the cash this summer, I'm getting a Crossbreed Supertuck for it. Supposedly the most comfortable and concealable holster around. We'll see if I can come up with the cash.

Bub

Latest posts