South Paw Lower?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

keithallenlaw

Bearcat
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
18
Greetings. I'm a SP and recently purchased the Ruger AR15. I finally decided
my Mini-14 wasn't the end all defense weapon so I purchased this rifle.
Sweet gun for the money. You just can't go wrong for the price. Works
excellent right out of the box. But...like I said, I'm a SP and find it
user unfriendly for me. So...

I made a call to my lgs where I purchased, to inquire about SP options.
He tells me instead of finding parts for the safety and mag release is to
just buy a SP lower. Huhh? Really? Is it that difficult to get a SP kit and
switch it out myself? Or find a smith? It's my 1st AR but I'm sure I can
find a tutorial on the web somewhere to walk me through this.
What you fellows think? -keith
 

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Joined
Dec 8, 2001
Messages
2,123
Location
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I'm a lefty too. Left-handed or ambidextrous AR safety levers are readily available and is a reversed mag release really necessary? On most of my pistols I use my trigger finger to operate the mag release and slide stop and I expect you could do that with an AR also. I would certainly never consider replacing the entire lower.
 

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
921
Location
Leaving California .....
keithallenlaw said:
Greetings. I'm a SP and recently purchased the Ruger AR15. I finally decided
my Mini-14 wasn't the end all defense weapon so I purchased this rifle.
Sweet gun for the money. You just can't go wrong for the price. Works
excellent right out of the box. But...like I said, I'm a SP and find it
user unfriendly for me. So...

I made a call to my lgs where I purchased, to inquire about SP options.
He tells me instead of finding parts for the safety and mag release is to
just buy a SP lower. Huhh? Really? Is it that difficult to get a SP kit and
switch it out myself? Or find a smith? It's my 1st AR but I'm sure I can
find a tutorial on the web somewhere to walk me through this.
What you fellows think? -keith

I'm right handed but shoot lefty due to being "left eyed". An ambi safety is easily switched out and there are ambi mag releases, ambi charging handle, the BAD lever and a PDQ ambi bolt release, among others. The PDQ requires a bit of work and the "OMIGOD I'll screw up" worry is a bit high when installing, but having it makes things alot easier for me.
 

keithallenlaw

Bearcat
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
18
Sticking about $500.00 worth of parts on a gun that cost me $570.00 makes real good sense. Thanks guys.
 

toysoldier

Hunter
Joined
Aug 23, 2006
Messages
3,332
Location
Hutchinson, KS USA
Ambidextrous controls don't correct the basic problem of shooting a right-handed rifle left-handed. Every right-hand gun is designed to "safely" vent to the right if anything bad happens. This puts it in your face when shooting left-handed. I suggest you trade for one of the real southpaw versions out there.
 

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Joined
Dec 8, 2001
Messages
2,123
Location
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Just switching to a "southpaw" lower will not correct the problem you describe, having the ejection port on the wrong side. The OP would have to buy an complete new gun, upper and lower, to have a true left-handed rifle.
 

keithallenlaw

Bearcat
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
18
Hell with that in mind I'd never get to shoot my 10/22's, my mini's, my AK's,
and all of my auto hand guns. I always wear glasses and hope for the best.
I do have my GSR in a left bolt, but see, that's just the catch, left handed
rifles don't hold their demand like their counterparts. Harder sell.

But hey guys, that's a very good point that I'm aware of, but choose to
ignore so I can shoot my mini-14 with an Olive Drab Hogue stock and
an Aimpoint H1 on a forward scout pic rail. Man I love that gun.

Salute gentleman! -keith
 

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Joined
Sep 24, 2014
Messages
315
Location
Shawnee, CO
You can solve the problem b getting the ambi controls for the lower and buying a "lefty" upper receiver assembly, so you get ejection out of the left side of the upper, you will then have a true "lefty" AR.

Several people make the lefty uppers, just pick one with a good reputation and you'll be happy.
 

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Joined
Feb 24, 2012
Messages
294
Location
Tennessee
Just buy a left hand Stag Arms AR and do it right. Both of mine will shoot under 1 MOA at 100 yards.
 

phonejack

Single-Sixer
Joined
Apr 20, 2011
Messages
319
Location
arkansas
I've had several AR's. Used to shoot Highpower with them. Never put on any "other side" parts. After awhile I realized I could do a magazine change being sp quicker than the right-handed guys.
 

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
921
Location
Leaving California .....
keithallenlaw said:
Sticking about $500.00 worth of parts on a gun that cost me $570.00 makes real good sense. Thanks guys.

Not sure where the "$500.00 worth of parts" comes from. The only thing I use on all the ARs I have is the ambi-safety and that costs about $15.00. Whatever works for you I guess.
 

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
5,696
Location
On the beach and in the hills
AKDRSS said:
Just buy a left hand Stag Arms AR and do it right. Both of mine will shoot under 1 MOA at 100 yards.

Yep, this is the solution. You know, it's funny how many "shooters" at one of the local ranges just have no clue that Stag lefties exist.
 

keithallenlaw

Bearcat
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
18
It's like a fellow who served in the military told me.

"The military didn't make no accommodations for me
being left handed".

So I'll stick with that. :) -keith
 

Latest posts

Top