Source for extra power base pin springs?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Hi folks, long time no see!

I've got a base pin jump issue on my .44m SBH and am installing the Power Custom oversize pin. I was also hoping to get one of the extra power latch springs, but it appears Wolff is no longer making them. Does anyone know of another source?

-- Sam

NikA

Buckeye
TriggerShims.com still has them listed with an individual part number as part of a spring kit, he might be willing to sell a few as a standalone part.

Wolff still lists them on their Ruger SA spring page: https://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/RUGER/SINGLE%20ACTION%20SERIES/

nawagner

Bearcat
Have the same problem with my Single Seven so I just ordered a spring from Wolff last week. Now, it has yet to ship, but was able to order. Click on Base Pin Latch Spring on the link posted by NikA. I also called Ruger and they are sending a new base bin latch, for free.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Wow, I'm getting old. I didn't see the menu on the left expanded when you went into Revolvers -> Ruger. All I was seeing was the Bearcat parts. Thanks for setting me straight!

-- Sam

George

Blackhawk
I had kind of the same issue. Pin was not jumping from firing the gun though. It seems that after handling a gun it wouldn't cock, took me awhile to realize what do, or it was me causing it. It was a new gun and I was thinking it was just extra metal inside the action and I should take it down and clean it out. In any case it's a very light spring on the 44 mag I have and believe that's the issue itself. Bought a few wolf Springs several years ago just never installed them yet on my guns. I wonder if stretching the Old Spring would help?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The problem is hardly ever the spring. It's a latch - to - pin groove fitting problem. Although the heavier spring will usually fix the symptom, it's not fixing the problem. I find the heavier spring on the latch annoying and a waste of money.

CYI PIN JUMP:

Usually the base pin is not properly locking due to poor fitting or the latch isn't completely tightened down.

To trouble shoot and diagnose the problem:

When released, the latch should return all the way out to the left the same amount with or w/o the pin installed. If it doesn't return as far to the left with the pin installed, that's the dead giveaway that the groove (the circular cannelure) on the pin is not deep enough to fully engage the latch. The pin will shoot loose. Deepen the pin groove.

Johnnu2

Hunter
+1 to Hondo's post...... OR, check to see if someone had improperly installed the latch.

I once was given an OM Super Black Hawk in pristine condition because the owner kept fighting with the same problem. I told him that it was probably that some previous owner had re-assembled the base-pin latch backwards. I fixed it for him, and he still didn't want the gun. YUP, it was fixed...!!!

George

Blackhawk
Great info Hondo 44 and Johnnu2, you know I never did put theheavier Springs in so I never got to look at the latch and how it was assembled. Going to check out the latch in the Groove fitment while I'm at it on the PIN! Again thanks for the info! George