Source for Bisley hammer?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshot

Single-Sixer
I have a stainless birdshead New Vaquero in 45 colt. I want to replace the SBH hammer with a bilsley hammer but can't seem to find one. Any ideas?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You can back order one from Midway here:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/797832/ruger-hammer-assembly-ruger-bisley-vaquero-stainless-steel

But expected delivery is Oct this year. If you don't mind paying for Power's Custom Bisley hammer, for $129 you can get it right now. The beauty of it is, it's already trimmed for a birdshead or plow handle grip frame when ordered for those grip frames. It also has a 1/2 cock notch that you can choose not to use, but you'll get an extra click like an old model unless you grind it off. You can also get a trigger custom tuned to work with it for a package price of $175.

Brownells no longer carries or special orders Bisley hammers, and Ruger no longer makes them or SBH hammers in blue. They use only stainless hammers and triggers even in blue guns.

TCGuy

Single-Sixer
If you order from Ruger, only the stainless Bisley hammers are available.
All older part #s have been superceded.

The new part # is KBR04002B.

HeavyDuty

Bearcat
I'm going to bump this old thread up rather than start a new one.

I have a birdshead NV. Will the Ruger Bisley hammer fit as is, or does it need to be trimmed?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
MODIFYING BISLEY HAMMER FOR BIRDSHEAD OR STANDARD GRIP FRAME:
Before you trace your old hammer, make sure it fits flush with the grip frame 'ears'.
Use the hammer pivot pin to hold the original and new hammers together and scribe both sides, then grind, file, sand and re-blue the portion you filed away (if blued).

I "hog out" most of the metal with an 1/8" x 1" Dremel course stone; hammer in a vise. Then true up the course grinding and the corner with a small double cut triangular file. Finish with 400 grit paper wrapped around a 1/4" x 1/2" alum sanding block with flat surfaces, and re-blue with Brownells OxPho blue. That will match the factory finish which is left a bit course. For a higher polish, follow up with 800 grit and 1000 grit. Polish with a Dremel flannel wheel using white rouge made for polishing stainless steel. Then blue.

I usually take about 1/16" off the back of the hammer shank below the spur because they stick out from the frame recoil shield too far for my taste, but don't go too far or the hammer plunger/spring hole will be exposed. You'll notice the newest production hammers have narrower shanks. See hammer on the right:

DSCN0589.jpg

DSCN0594.jpg

DSCN0598.jpg

P1010010-6.jpg

REPLACING JUST HAMMER and/or PAWL:
You do not need to pull the trigger, the PESKY GATE SPRING or transfer bar to remove the hammer and pawl. Once you take off the grip frame, the hammer pin is the only thing you have to remove to get them out. Just pull the hammer back and all the way down, then depress the hammer plunger in the base of the hammer with a small tipped screwdriver to clear the trigger extension where the transfer bar connects to it. Let the hammer & pawl fall out. Install in reverse! Piece o' cake.