SOS--Need help on P95DPR Please!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bkat

Blackhawk
I've disassembled and cleaned my P95 dozens of times and haven't had this happen before. I reassembled the camblock and recoil spring, made sure the ejector was lowered and put the slide back on the frame. I then tried to line up the hashmarks to put the slide stop back on. However, I could not get the slide back far enough where the slide stop would lock. Now I can't get the slide off the frame so I can start over. The slide will only go back a little ways and I can't make it go forward far enough to remove it from the frame.

Any suggestions? Really appreciate your help.

Bkat

wixedmords

Blackhawk
With the mag out can you verify the ejector is down from inside the mag well? The mag needs to be out to disassemble. If you can hook on to the ejector you may be able to move it up and down just a little to move the slide. Don't push to heavy on the slide.

Is the slide lock lever totally out of the gun? Still partially in the gun?

Is the safety off? Off is in the upper position. You want the safety to be in the on position or lower position.

Start there Bkat. I can image this is making you nervous.

Bkat

Blackhawk
The mag is out--all this happened after I disassembled to clean and tried to reassemble. The wierd thing is I can't see the ejector, but it's certainly not up. This is the decocker model so there's no safety. The slide stop is completey out of the gun. The slide will move back enough to cock the hammer but not far enough to lock the slide stop. When I let the slide go forward it looks like it's almost on right, but both the barrel and the recoil rod are sticking way out of the barrel. I can't figure what is holding the slide on.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I'd try to find that ejector as that sounds like the first issue Bkat. I bet you are doing that right now.

Decocker only? If you push the lever down it spring returns to the up position in normal function?

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Without trying to insult you. Are you sure you are putting the guide rod back in correctly? Put it in upside down you get what you are describing.

tk

Yep, make sure the ejector is down.... if not, cut a coat hanger and bend the end about 1/4" at a 90 degree angle and reach up in the mag well and pull it down.... twice I've had my slide lock up and both times even with the ejector down the slide was still locked and would not move... then you got to give it a good whack to get the slide off... it's the guide rod I think is slightly off kilter, which it can do when the slide is not fully seated.... it will come apart and you don't really have to damage the gun to fix it...

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Just as Blume spoke of, you can jolt the gun if the guide rod if it is off center a bit. Sometimes I have to pay more attention to centering the guide rod to get the slide on. The guide rod can easily be put in off center. The "jolt" should happen on something that won't hurt the gun, like into your hand on a hard surface or into cloth on a hard surface or such. I wouldn't just slam the gun on a hard surface.

Disassembly and reassembly, like reloading, is something that should have one's focus and attention and should be done in a regiment exactly the same way every time. When I watch these speed trials on YouTube showing times disassembly and reassembly, I often wonder how many firearms get jammed and become dysfunctional. Just a thought for everyone, not a finger pointing to Bkat.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I've had more than one of my P series freeze up before when putting them back together with the ejector down. Just keep working it and it'll go.

fez

Bearcat
Did you inadvertently pull the trigger with the slide off? I did that and even with ejector down the slide got stuck.I forgot how I played with it but I did get it back in sequence.I think it had sometihng to do with that lever that moves the fp block out of the way.

Bkat

Blackhawk
Thanks guys for the responses and suggestions. I fiddled with it for the past 24 hours and finally gave up and dropped it off at the local gunsmith shop. This was a new one with me.

Thanks again for everyone's attempts to help.

Bkat

fez

Bearcat
When you said you could not see the ejector I took a look at mine with the ejector up.It was hard to see looking through the mag well but it was up.even with a lite I was barely able to discern it against the top of the slide.If you look for the long part of the ejector you will see it.You probably had it up and did not realize it.Hey,it happens.

Bkat

Blackhawk
Report to the Committee re slide stuck on P95: Got the P95 back yesterday from the gunsmith. He said the the ejector was bent, which I evidently did when trying to reassemble and which ended up locking the slide. He had to bend it back into shape to free everything up so the gun could be disassembled. I was concerned that the damage would affect ejection and feeding, but I ran about 50 rounds through it without a hitch.

A tip from the gunsmith to watch out for--the ejector will pop back up when the hammer is cocked, which will happen if you push the slide all the way back when reassembling. Remember to only push the slide back far enough to line up the hash marks when reassembling and that will help you avoid my mistake! At any rate, keep an eye on that ejector and make sure it stays down throughout reassembly.

Thanks again to all for trying to help.

Bkat

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Thanks for letting us know the cause.
Glad you have it all fixed up and ready to go again.

tk

Latest posts