Sore Trigger Finger from Shooting LCR 327 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

anarchist

Bearcat
It's not the trigger weight, it's the recoil, which seems to hit the first joint pad of my trigger finger hard. Anybody have this experience? Doesn't happen when I shoot 32s but when I load 327 mag it hurts.

Would gloves help?

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
I would just not view a LCR of any caliber as a range gun and expect shooting comfort. Well, maybe the 3"38 LCRX is OK for that.
I would view any of the other more aggressive LCRs as strictly last-ditch defensive firearms and at that point you will not really notice hand discomfort.
Bigger grips or downloading kind of defeats the purpose you bought that gun for in the first place.
Same conundrum has been going on with J frame S&Ws since their conception.

Last edited:

32magfan

Blackhawk
My LCR in 327 has not bothered my hand or fingers until I fired the 115gr. Gold Dot load. That gets snappy but at $1/ round I never shoot more than a box.
32Magfan

The recoil doesn't bother me on the 327 or 357, the original mini grip is just so small, I can aim better with the longer full size LCRX grip.
I practice on a 8" gong at 20-50'. The little guns point very nicely, even without using the sights, I can ring steel at 20' most of the time. Using sights ( f green fiber optic) I can hit steel every shot. Not bad for a 1.875" DAO.

It's not the trigger weight, it's the recoil, which seems to hit the first joint pad of my trigger finger hard. Anybody have this experience? Doesn't happen when I shoot 32s but when I load 327 mag it hurts.

Would gloves help?

It's likely one of those situations where YMMV ("your mileage may vary" ;>), because human hands come in so many different sizes and shapes. I remember a 40 caliber pocket auto, that had a trigger guard that rubbed my right index finger every time I squeezed the trigger. Funny thing - it didn't even touch my left index finger, when shooting left handed. Guess my left & right hands are sufficiently different to be noticeable, when firing some guns at least...

:>)

kcsteve

Single-Sixer

Would gloves help?
Glocks do me that way. I think it's because I press the bottom of the trigger. I actually used band aids at the range until I sold the glocks. Gloves get caught under the trigger In my experience.

hittman

Staff member
My LCRs have never done that but SOME of the LCP / LC9 did and it's not an uncommon problem with them.

Ruger's suggestion to me was to learn how to shoot.

sharpenit

Bearcat
I have the same problem with my LCRx snubby, 38 Special. Sore trigger finger after just 5 rounds. I've stopped shooting it. However, I have the same LCRx but with a 3-inch barrel and there is far less discomfort, though still a little bit.

buckaroo

Banned
I have the same problem with my LCRx snubby, 38 Special. Sore trigger finger after just 5 rounds. I've stopped shooting it.

To make you feel better it's not you. I bought the .38 special only version LCR when it first came out, it is one of the most brutal handguns I ever shot. Here's the lie, that polymer absorbs recoil better. The .38 special only version is all polymer.

Fast forward a couple years and I buy a .357 magnum version, with only a 4 oz difference but the construction of it is entirely different. I'm blasting .357 magnums with one hand.

Pal Val

Buckeye
A little tighter grip with the middle and ring fingers should help. That's all you get. The combination of ultra-light gun and stout loads is never comfortable.

Sore trigger finger, yep, I have the same results shooting standard power ammo in my LCR too. I have even shortened the trigger somewhat to remove some of the "hook around" the bottom to the trigger to lessen the bruise. At the SHOT Show, numerous times, I have pointed this "short coming/flaw" out to the marketing and engineering people in the Ruger Booth. I get resistance and excuses from those people. I threated to heat the trigger up and unbend the curl but I was advised not to do that because the trigger is a MIM part and it will break. A "J" frame S&W trigger doesn't have this hook and appears to be rather straight tangent to the curve of the trigger face. Because of this short coming I don't recommend the LCR to my customers seeking a small frame revolver. Like Taurus products, I don't stock the LCR in my shop either. My LCR is the least used modern firearm I own, I haven't shot it in several years, it is just a "safe queen".