Soon to have a mini-30 in the house.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Well as the title says there will be a mini-30 in the house tomorrow night. Its not mine either, even though I've wanted one for awhile. Its my 15yo (soon to be 16) daughter. She has been saving her money for a mini14. Well today at Scheels I was browsing the used rifles with my son when I looked down and saw what I thought was a mini14 until I picked it up and realized it was the 30. It looked very clean. Price was $550. I figured it wasn't to bad.

My daughter came over and seen it. When I told her it was the 30 instead of the 14 she didn't mind and actually said se would rather have the 30 . I noticed on the back of the tag it said it came with 12 mags. So I asked the guy about it.. Unfortunately the nags aren't Ruger but USA brand. Figured though for the price we would at least try them out at the range. It also came with the original 5 shot mag and a spare 5 shot Ruger mag.

So she is a pretty happy girl.

bai78

Bearcat
Sounds like a great find! What series did you end up finding?

Let us know how those mags turn out!

9x19

Hunter
Congrats on the new rifle.

Ruger followers and springs will *sometimes* make an aftermarket mag reliable.... sometimes.

Ruger's factory 20 round mags run good though, so if she can afford it, i'd tell her to get a couple of those.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
So, they let 15 or 16 year olds buy rifles in Illinois?

Wink, Wink....

Oh, start with good U.S. made ammo first and stay away from aftermarket mags.

It wasn't a "straw" purchase. Your allowed to purchase for a child as a gift.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
bai78 said:
Sounds like a great find! What series did you end up finding?

Let us know how those mags turn out!

I'll have to check on what series it is. I honestly don't know. I'll take a few photos tonight. We pick it up at 5pm.

bai78

Bearcat
Kyhunt said:
I'll have to check on what series it is. I honestly don't know. I'll take a few photos tonight. We pick it up at 5pm.

How exciting!

This is my 581 series in a couple different configurations.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
The first part of the serial # is that what your talking about when you said series?

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Ok, from the serial # looks like made in 87. Serial # 189-03xxx. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Jimmer

Bearcat
According to the Ruger site, 189 series was made in 1994. My mini 30 is 189 series also.. Now after market magazines...I have bought several STEEL magazines from www.ProMagindustries.com They look as if they were made by Ruger, right down to the follower and base plate. As far as function, they work as well as those that Ruger made.
I would advise avoiding the polymer mags from any company.

Latest posts