Soon I'll have the Best SRH Alaskan ever made!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
I damn hope so since Ruger has been repairing this thing for a month now!
I'm on a first name basis now with the Service Rep lady and after this morning checkup call,after another week, it MAY be headed towards shipping out.
Nothing like buying,within the realm of Ruger, a Cadillac revolver with Chevette quality!
Those words of tight quality still wander in my head after others including Hickok 45 were impressed by the build quality of this gun.

Mus408

Hunter
Well just received a call from Ruger and it's on it's way back home along with the test target they used to proof the gun!

altajava

Bearcat
Not trying to make light of your experience but everyone makes a lemon now and then. I have 21 Rugers. Only one needed work, had to be sent back. I'm pretty satisfied with that ratio, for any product.

Mus408

Hunter
Well I only had 5 but got a bad one. I should have paid closer attention before buying. But that's done and hopefully a great shootin' Alaskan is on the way!

altajava

Bearcat
Mus408 said:
......I should have paid closer attention before buying......

Thats a big part of it. My LGS has been around for over 50 years, they get a lot of neat trade ins. If they get in something I like i will put it on lay away and go home and research it. It also helps a good friend of mine works there. We both examine the gun before I buy it. I have turned a few down because of poor maintenance or buba smithing. None of that should matter with a new gun though.

Mus408

Hunter
Yeah the shop I bought this one from has been around a like amount of time.
I bought a Rossi Mare's Leg there couple years ago. Got it home and it wouldn't cycle ammo.
Took it back and they gladly exchanged it for another one and then had them try that out in the back plus they gave me back 50 bucks for my time!

Blueduck

Bearcat
Last 5 years I've literally sent more back at least once, than came off the line ok, and that is Rugers, Glocks and S/W's so bashing equally here...

Mus408

Hunter
Well hopefully I'll be able to shoot the crap out of it this weekend!! :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Mus408 said:
Well hopefully I'll be able to shoot the crap out of it this weekend!! :D
Promises, promises. We keep hearing you have this really great 454 Alaskan and so far all we've seen is one that had mechanical problems. ...are you done pulling our chain?

...ok so I'm kidding but when you do get it and shoot it I hope you will give us a full report. :D :D

Mus408

Hunter
Should be here Thursday and the weekend weather is looking great. I will start off with my mild .45 Colt loads and work up from there.
Just hope my current medical issues have cleared up a bit by then!

Mus408

Hunter
One more day and my new...newly rebuilt Alaskan will be here...feel like a kid the day before Christmas!
I know you folks are tired of this,but you know how it is with a new gun you've been waiting for.
Time to go out to the reload room and load up some more .45 Colt!

JFB

Hunter
Is there a posting that discribes the problems you were having?

I doubt I'll ever shoot my Alaskan (44) enough to see if it has any

JFB said:
Is there a posting that discribes the problems you were having?

I doubt I'll ever shoot my Alaskan (44) enough to see if it has any

Well due to the search function on this forum functioning like a Ruger P-series, I augmented my search capabilities with a smart phone app (web browser search plugin)...

The first instance of his gun having issues was found here:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=229282

He has another thread with pics probably the next one in order after that^ one.

Edit: added post with pics:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=229292

Edit: added

He had more technical details... I would have sent it back too...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=229273

JFB

Hunter
Thanks. I still get
"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes."

A quick check of my 44 has a 0.010" cylinder gap. but a 0.413" rod did not indicate major misalignment (a "Z" drill rod)

Mus408

Hunter
A little on the big side at .010, but if it shoots fine guess it's OK. I just wonder with that line of revolver why they don't tighten the specs a bit. Max should be .006

American Rifleman which is on Outdoor Channel tonight,has a feature on revolver assembly at the Ruger plant in NH. Very interesting to watch!