Something Old, Something New...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
Just in case anyone was wondering here's a side-by-side of the original Police Carbine next to one of the new PC9's. I've had the older one for a few months and absolutely love it. It digests whatever I feed it and so far has accounted for a few "yard pests." My Dad just purchased the new PC9 last week, and fired it for the first time yesterday. It also functioned flawlessly using factory Glock mags and also an aftermarket Glock mag. He hasn't tried the Ruger mag yet.

The weight of the two carbines is almost identical. The new one seems to have a little less weight-forward when holding on target, probably due to the fluted barrel. I can't say I particularly like the ghost ring sights, we both found them harder to see when on target as compared to the standard notch and blade of the original. Some white or orange paint on the front sight would help tremendously. The take-down feature is nice, but not something that really sells it for me. One nice attribute of the new PC9 is the integral picatinny rail. A nice red dot or low power scope would be handy on this carbine. The threaded barrel is a nice feature as well, if suppressors are your thing.

After plinking away at the 25 yd line, we went back to 100 yds and put them on the bench. I have several round 8" steel targets on my range and we had no issue hitting them consistently at that range with open sights using both 124gr cast reloads and factory FMJ.

9lSnmC8.jpg