Something I was wondering about

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
There was a story a while back about a lady cop that shot someone thinking she had pulled her stun gun. This was just mentioned on another forum so, I was wondering, do leo's wear their actual weapon and their stun gun on the same side of the body? It just seems like it would be hard to do to mistake your real weapon for a stun gun.

I know she is now in jail. I'm not asking anything about whether the sentence was right or wrong. I'm just wondering how that mistake could have happened. Mistake or not, she still killed someone.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
In my opinion, a stun gun should neve be carried anywhere near the gun position. If the service pistol is on the near hip, then the stun gun should be in maybe a shoulder/crossdraw position. Seems to me the department policy might be partially liable.

Bob Wright

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
If I remember right, the department she worked for mandated that the Taser be worn on the opposite side of the duty weapon. It is my understanding that most other departments have the same, or similar, rules.

caryc

Hawkeye
In my opinion, a stun gun should neve be carried anywhere near the gun position. If the service pistol is on the near hip, then the stun gun should be in maybe a shoulder/crossdraw position. Seems to me the department policy might be partially liable.

Bob Wright
I agree with you Bob but, you are talking common sense here. There seems to be a shortage of that commodity these days.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
Same thing out here. Taser opposite side from service weapon. Not sure how you would grab the wrong one. But I have never worked law enforcement. Crazy things can happen under stress.

contender

Ruger Guru
In my son's department, tasers are on the opposite side of the dominant hand. Often times officers will have them set up like a cross draw, with the butt forward.

Yes, stress can cause a lot of strange things to happen. But if a person does a lot of physical practice doing anything, they will develop motor memory skills that will help. Just like we all did by learning to drive. Repetition often enough will create motor memory skills.

She made the mistake and is now paying for it.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
From my standpoint, it seems to me that the need for the pistol is urgent, that is, its a sudden life or death situation demanding quick access and employment. The stun gun, taser or whatever, should be less urgent, therefore more diliberate thought/action should be the case.
Does that make any sense?

Bob Wright

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
I don't Remember the officer's name or department, but I do remember the event, and seeing the b0dy-cam footage. Her taser WAS carried on the side opposite her firearm. She had several years service at the time, so there really should have been no confusion, The taser she carried was also bright yellow, so she should have noticed THAT in her hand. Still, she made the mistake in the heat of the moment, can be heard shouting, "Taser, taser, taser" before firing, and then, "Oh God" after realizing it was a gun she had just fired.

I DO believe she made the mistake honestly, but, with her training and experience, she SHOULDN"T have. A truly sad situation. She will be scarred for life with that man's blood on her hands, and will never work in law enforcement again.

caryc

Hawkeye
How many times has this happened before? As far as I am concerned, it has never happened before in the history of policing. It sounds like something was badly missed in her psych evaluation. It just shouldn't have happened. She just wasn't prepared to handle an emergency situation.

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
There was a story a while back about a lady cop that shot someone thinking she had pulled her stun gun. This was just mentioned on another forum so, I was wondering, do leo's wear their actual weapon and their stun gun on the same side of the body? It just seems like it would be hard to do to mistake your real weapon for a stun gun.

I know she is now in jail. I'm not asking anything about whether the sentence was right or wrong. I'm just wondering how that mistake could have happened. Mistake or not, she still killed someone.
This is one of the main reasons I left in 05' from the force. The liabilities were so high that the meager pay I was receiving was not worth the risk to myself nor the livelihood and welfare or my family.When a tragic mistake like this occurs this helps to reinforce my decision.

caryc

Hawkeye
This is one of the main reasons I left in 05' from the force. The liabilities were so high that the meager pay I was receiving was not worth the risk to myself nor the livelihood and welfare or my family.When a tragic mistake like this occurs this helps to reinforce my decision.
On Newsmax the other day, they were talking about cops salaries. They said that UPS drivers now make $100k per year. That was like 40% more than the cops make. Hard to believe isn't it? That "defund the police" is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Any time I get close enough to a cop they always get a "Thank You for your service" from me. And, they always seem surprised to hear it. That's a real shame. Of course I do the same for any first responders.

el caminero

Single-Sixer

There was a LOT of noise at the time about how can you confuse a gun with a stun, especially revolving around the daft "fact" that the grips are nothing alike. Some stun handles are too much similar to some firearms grips. And some people may never get enough training for a particular situation, especially during a transitional phase (new equipment).

Just saw this discussion... my question is how did 'they' find out she made the mistake?
Anybody have a link to the original report... with the understanding I will question even it.
What I'm saying, and take it for however you want... if I had done that I would not admit my mistake.

el caminero

Single-Sixer
One report had the other cop verifying she said stun! And then it was bang! And then itvwas oh shoot, that was my gun, but you know how the media loves to give you a piece or three of a 10 part story, and ya hafta listen to the m 20 times or 30 to hear all ten of the pieces they have cut it into.
For a long tome, the media has been "first out with even a piece of the story, wins the race! Facts can be added, and debated, later" and each outlet has their own .."sources"... and, of course, differing fact collections. Frustrating, and amusing, by turns.

caryc

Hawkeye
Just saw this discussion... my question is how did 'they' find out she made the mistake?
Anybody have a link to the original report... with the understanding I will question even it.
What I'm saying, and take it for however you want... if I had done that I would not admit my mistake.
You would not admit the mistake? Then you would have had to justify that killing. If you could not do that, I think you would be in a worse position than if you had admitted the mistake.

I don't remember, was that guy armed?

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I don't Remember the officer's name or department, but I do remember the event, and seeing the b0dy-cam footage. Her taser WAS carried on the side opposite her firearm. She had several years service at the time, so there really should have been no confusion, The taser she carried was also bright yellow, so she should have noticed THAT in her hand. Still, she made the mistake in the heat of the moment, can be heard shouting, "Taser, taser, taser" before firing, and then, "Oh God" after realizing it was a gun she had just fired.

I DO believe she made the mistake honestly, but, with her training and experience, she SHOULDN"T have. A truly sad situation. She will be scarred for life with that man's blood on her hands, and will never work in law enforcement again.
She SHOULDN'T work in law enforcement again, and she should be punished in some way. But, she shouldn't be put in jail. I don't think the guy she shot was Ward Cleaver. If he had not resisted there would have been no reason to even taze him.