Something awesome followed me home yesterday...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

frogger

Bearcat
I have been saving for a few months to get a new firearm. My plan was to buy a Mossberg 590A1 and use it as a secondary home defense gun (still prefer handguns and my primary is a Glock 17). However, I decided yesterday to hit all the local pawn shops and gun shops just to see if I could find something really special and hard to find before I bought a shotgun.

The first shop I hit was a bust, but it usually is. It is just happens to the be closest to my house so I took a chance to see. Nothing worth mentioning in the second shop either. The third shop did have a Glock 19 EXO and I was a bit tempted since I already have a Glock 17 EXO and it would have been cool to complete the set, but I passed. The 4th shop had a Ruger SP101 in .22LR that tempted me, but the fit and finish on this particular one was very bad so I passed. They also had a good price on a Ruger Single Ten that I might have gone back for if I hadn't found what I eventually bought.

The next shop I hit is one of my favorites and there in the counter was a 95+% Sig P220 Two-Tone. It was the older style two-tone when they still did the small parts silver too and not just the slide. It had no rail and very dim night sights and was marked "Made in Germany". It honestly looked brand new other than the aftermarket Hogue grips it was wearing. I thought hard about it, but decided to see what else was out there before I laid down the money. Also, their best price was $750 out the door and that would have taken pretty much every penny I had saved and I thought that was a tad high.

Next, I hit the newest and biggest gun shop in the area, but all I found was high prices and sales staff too busy to be bothered. Ugh.

I had one last shop on my list. It is a pawn shop a bit further away but usually has a very large selection and decent prices. I got there and started making a lap and finding nothing that tempted me at all. In the final case, I see something I didn't think was available any more... a Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp edition. I had been drooling over one of these for a while and since they were such a limited run (2000, according to Ruger's site) and they had been out a while I didn't dream I'd find one. The price tag said $829, but was marked down to $775. I asked what their best price was and the salesman got the owner for me. He offered me $675 + tax. I countered with $700 OTD (came to $654 and some change + tax) and he took it. After doing some research I think I got a pretty good deal.

So... I'll have to start over saving for the shotgun, but I got a dandy of a revolver. I haven't shot it yet, but I will. It won't be a safe queen. I just have to wait until next pay day to afford the ammo and range time. The fun money is depleted. ;o)

My only decision now is if I keep the S&W 686-4 2.5" barrel I have that fills the same niche in my collection or sell it to fund the shotgun. I won't make that decision until I get some trigger time with the Ruger. I will say this though... this particular GP100 has the nicest trigger I've ever felt on a Ruger revolver. On the specs for the Wiley Clapp, it does not mention tuning the trigger but this one sure feels like it was done. Can't wait to shoot it.

Ruger-GP100WC.jpg

M'BOGO

Buckeye
NICE

As an aside, don't sell the 686 for a guage. Maybe for a 4 incher, but not the guage. You'll regret selling blood less IMHO..

GammaRay

Single-Sixer
I dont know why but i found the GP100 more comfortable to shoot than the m686. Both are among the best in .357 revolvers IMO. Keep em both if you can.

MikeChandler

Bearcat
GammaRay said:
I dont know why but i found the GP100 more comfortable to shoot than the m686. Both are among the best in .357 revolvers IMO. Keep em both if you can.

I agree. The GP100 in any given length will be easier to shoot than the 686.

The ruger weighs more, and the frame is slightly beefier. I had a 3" that was a joy to shoot, I seriously regret trading it in on a 649-5 357 - although I do carry the new gun every day, which I did not do with the ruger, as it weighed a LOT.

frogger

Bearcat
Sal1950 said:
Great find!
Highly possible the prior owner did a spring and action job on it.
Enjoy.
Sal

Nope. I bought it NIB from the dealer. There was no prior owner.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
frogger said:
Sal1950 said:
Great find!
Enjoy.
Sal

AH, You said Pawn Shop so I assumed, and you know what happens when you assume. LOL
Glad you got a nice smooth one, it will only get better with use.
Have fun,
Sal

frogger

Bearcat
Sal1950 said:
frogger said:
Sal1950 said:
Great find!
Enjoy.
Sal

AH, You said Pawn Shop so I assumed, and you know what happens when you assume. LOL
Glad you got a nice smooth one, it will only get better with use.
Have fun,
Sal

I understand the assumption, but most pawn shops sell new guns as well as used. This one is brand spanking new. I think I just got lucky and got a really good one.