Somebody PLEASE demystify the Ruger Bisley for me!!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So, I've always liked the Ruger Bisley over the traditional style grip, because the plow handle grip just doesn't suit me. So here's the question, why are these 5.5 inch S/S Bisley's such a hard to find item and why aren't they in regular production? In all reality, there isn't anything special about them (from a manufacturing cost standpoint) other than they have the Bisley style grip/hammer, etc, which is very popular. So why are these guns only available in special distributor limited runs that always sell out? It would seem to support the case that there is a regular demand for the model?

Case in point, over the past few years, I've been able to pick-up the Bisley 6.5" Single Six S/S and the 5.5" Turnbull Bisley 45, both limited runs that appear to be no longer available?

So why all the mystique? I've seen the 41, 44Mag and 357 5.5" Bisley's sell for 900-1200.00 because they are no longer readily available and haven't been for a while. I remember the 41 Bisley's were available last year for roughly $650, new from the manufacturer. What am I missing? Why do distributors need to supply these in special limited runs as opposed to being a regularly cataloged item? I don't believe believe that a 5.5" Bisley in one of those configurations would sell in any less quantities than some of their other revolvers.

What am I missing?

Thanks
IC

hittman

Staff member
As I understand it ..... and I could be wrong ..... Ruger has no risk selling them as distributor exclusives. The distributor orders maybe 500 or 1000 of them, pays for them and Ruger delivers.

You'd think if Ruger believed there was a market to have them as a regular production item, they'd be churning them out.

InjunBro

Bearcat
I too prefer the Bisley grip frame, hammer & trigger. 2nd choice is the birdshead grip (I made my own before the factory did)... now if they offered a Bisley trigger & hammer w/ birdshead grip...

contender

Ruger Guru
"As I understand it ..... and I could be wrong ..... Ruger has no risk selling them as distributor exclusives. The distributor orders maybe 500 or 1000 of them, pays for them and Ruger delivers.

You'd think if Ruger believed there was a market to have them as a regular production item, they'd be churning them out."

This is a good "simple" explanation of marketing by them.
While many do like & prefer the Bisley's,, (myself included on some models,) sales drive the factory offered options. Sales are driven by the way a Distributor is able to sell stuff.
A good example;
The Lipsey's Blackhawk in .44 Spl. Initially, a distributor only item, and in limited numbers. Due to rapid sales & high demand,,, it became a factory offered model.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
The Bisley models, 0470,0471,and 0472 (45, 41 mag, 45 conv. 5.5" S.S.) were all Williams Shooters Supply exclusives. They closed up over the last year. I think RSR group has the 0470 and 0472 model now as exclusives but I don't think Ruger has supplied them with their first run yet. That is why they are scarce right now.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The limited editions test the market. But as others have posted above, they need to have market demand that justifies a regular production, even just a year of reg production like Ruger has done in the past on occasion.

So although Bisleys may seem popular based on limited edition availability and sales, the reality is their market demand is minuscule compared to standard models which sell in the tens of thousands. That's why they're not regular production nor do you ever see limited editions in bigger quantities like 2000, 2500, etc.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
InjunBro said:
I too prefer the Bisley grip frame, hammer & trigger. 2nd choice is the birdshead grip (I made my own before the factory did)... now if they offered a Bisley trigger & hammer w/ birdshead grip...

Have you considered just installing the Bisley hammer and/or trigger in your birdshead grip?

The hammer and trigger or trigger slot just take some simple modifications same as they do for the standard grip frame:

orig.jpg

Johnnu2

Hunter
Hondo44's gunsmith advice is always fabulous. If I did this correctly, here it is:
https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=287575.

I'm not a collector of anything, but as luck would have it, over the past few years, I was attracted to the Bisley style and just happened to grab one of each (.41, .45, .44) for regular 'shooters'... never realized that they were "special".... They're my first entry into the 'new model' world (and I got lucky...they're good shooters):

J.

Johnnu2 said:
I'm not a collector of anything, but as luck would have it, over the past few years, I was attracted to the Bisley style and just happened to grab one of each (.41, .45, .44) for regular 'shooters'... never realized that they were "special".... They're my first entry into the 'new model' world (and I got lucky...they're good shooters):

J.
I am kinda in the same boat, except I should have picked up the 41 when it was available 12 months ago, but didn't because i didn't realize it would be so unobtainable now. Live and learn. It seemed like a pretty pedestrian gun but I didn't realize they vanish and become hard to find. I am so glad i picked up the S/S 6.5" Bisley Single Six when I did, because it is such a nice shooter.

Here's to hoping Lipseys or RSR decide on some runs. I really like the 6.5 inch barrel for some more sight radius as they did with the Single Seven 32's and the 454's, so if I had a wish, it would be those in some standard calibers! It would be awesome. I would think they'd be popular, but who knows...

Thanks for the Bisley info. Wish they were more popular with rank and file shooters...

IC

I don't understand why Ruger does not make the Bisley - in a few calibers and barrel lengths - standard items....I think they are missing the boat. I have wanted at 357 Magnum Bisley for a few years and have been waiting for a factory offering, i will take it in 5.5" or 6.5" but none have been forthcoming....I just don't get it....

Oh well...

Whats also odd is that i just searched for the standard Bisley 7.5 blued 44 Mag that has been available for many years, and its nowhere to be found?!? I would have thought that would be a standard item forever, but somewhere along the line it was discontinued? Quite surprised that a useful 44 Mag like that has also vanished.

I wonder if any of this info is available anywhere that speaks to the years these models were available?

Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
If you study the Ruger history,, often they HAVE offered Bisley models as regular production firearms.
Slow sales, & low demand has caused many of them to be discontinued as regular production items.
BUT,, Distributors can have special runs.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I bought a 7 1/2" Blued Bisley 45 the first year they came out. It has 9 one shot kills on whitetails. With 300gr JSP CorBon, Buffalo Bore or Grizzly or a handload of a case full of IMR 4227 and a 300gr Sierra JSP, it is very accurate and sure delivers a bunch of energy on target. Personally I would like to have a 5 1/2" as I think they are better balanced and faster out of a holster, but the color case or blue finish Bisley Vaqueros are made from unobtanium apparently. Stainless are easier to find.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I wish they would make the Hunter grip frame available on most models. More room between knuckle and trigger guard , longer grip surface like the Dragoon but with a rounded trigger guard. The plow handle just looks better in my opinion.

FYI, CDNN just got 15 of the 41 Mag 0471's, for anyone interested but I'd act fast... One sold on GB a few days ago for $330.00 more than CDNN is selling them for!!! So glad i didn't bid on it!

Thanks

CrazyCarl

Bearcat
Johnnu2 said:
Hondo44's gunsmith advice is always fabulous. If I did this correctly, here it is:
https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=287575.

J.

Missed one... 8)

NH Rugerman said:
I don't understand why Ruger does not make the Bisley - in a few calibers and barrel lengths - standard items....I think they are missing the boat. I have wanted at 357 Magnum Bisley for a few years and have been waiting for a factory offering, i will take it in 5.5" or 6.5" but none have been forthcoming....I just don't get it....

Oh well...

They did a run of stainless 5.5" .357 Bisleys a ways back. When I bought my .41 in '10 or '11, there were a number available on GB & I still kick myself for not picking one up back then.

It does seem a little strange that they are somewhat scarce. All it takes to make a "Bisley" is the grip frame and panels, the hammer and trigger, and presto, you have a "Bisley". But still, the bean counters will determine what goes into the production schedule based on perceived market. We have to be glad there are distributors willing and able ($) to order a sizeable run of the lesser-popular stuff for our benefit. :mrgreen: