Some things I just dont understand - Gas Cans

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SWR

Single-Sixer
The wonderful people who help protect us from so much personal harm I just dont get. We have these wonderful new style gas can spouts - just lovely. Every time I go to fill the mower they gurgle and chug and every time they spit gas all over the place or the gas surges out the top of the tank and spills on the mower or the ground.
This is better ?? I just dont get it . I thought they were there to help protect our enviroment and trap fumes - yeah right

Seems I had precise control and never spilt a drop with the plain old style nozzle - had to have been better in all ways than this finely engineered new piece of junk. Who ever said simpler was never better.

Fortunately I guess you can still by the old style nozzle "for replacement on older style cans only". Yea righth - wink wink

pennsy

Bearcat
I bought a replacement nozzle and air vent at Tractor Supply...they list it as water can nozzle replacement..wink.wink

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
pennsy said:
I bought a replacement nozzle and air vent at Tractor Supply...they list it as water can nozzle replacement..wink.wink

Very nice!

Another fix for these new gas cans is drill a hole where the vents used to be and put a valve stem in it for a vent. Also hit garage sales to find the older style cans. The only new can I have that won't spill all over is a metal safety can with a funnel attatched to the spout. But they are pricey and it only holds 2 gallons.

Mike J

Hunter
I had a plastic 5 gallon can. I haven't had it but about 5 years & the seam in the plastic was starting to separate. Around here a 5 gallon plastic can is about $20.00. I went & bought a 5 gallon safety can with the funnel made for it. It was $40.00 but I feel confident it will last more than 5 years.

Edited to add-The safety can I bought is made of metal.

JFB

Hunter
exact same thoughts. I spill a whole lot more trying to hold open and pour.

another thing to watch out for is the lack of a flush cap allows condensation/dew to collect in the end and thus dump into the tank during filling. so I now always turn the can up side down to make sure nothing has collected

Pal Val

Buckeye
I hate these gas can contraptions! I've had to throw away at least three, and go back to a rig I once made by gluing a funnel to a gas can cap. It looks ugly, but it works.

coach

Hunter
The EPA did the same nonsense with portable boat gas cans. Non venting so they swell up excessively and spray gas when opening if your not careful.
I still have a collection of pre regulated cans that work fine.

john guedry

Single-Sixer
One more example of "big brother" knowing what's "best" for all of us. The clowns that dream this stuff up would never dirty their hands on something like a gas can. :evil:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I just pour real slowly and I don't get the bubbling. Someday someone will invent a cheap to manufacture can that works like it should, like they did with the fluorescent light bulb. :D

There is an "old-style" adapter you can attach to a 5 gallon water jug. (Like those found in an office on a water dispenser) haven't seen one in a while, but I knew an older gentleman who stored several units this way.

tinman

Buckeye
I have pretty much switched out to RotoPax fuel cans for everything. They ain't cheap but they are tough as woodpecker lips. In the USA they come with the "eco" spouts.....I have changed them out with the spout that is sold on their water container (this water spout, not surprisingly, is the same spout shipped to every other country as the fuel spout....) I run a pair of the 2 gallon cans on my bike. And considering the places I ride......I can attest to their durability.

http://home.rotopax.com/index.php/about-rotopax

I think the answer is not the government... but that all those GM engineers that got fired a while back had to get a job somewhere and that is one they got; re-inventing the gas can. Seems I read somewhere the evolution of manufacturing and that just about every 30 years or less the product some company has designed and refined up to perfection has to be re-designed by the new folks and we get to reap the rewards...(not) The Ruger P-95 is a prime example.