Some reloading questions re: Ruger New Vaquero & Unique

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fanner50

Bearcat
New "New Vaquero" in .45 Colt, and I have a couple of reloading questions if you guys don't mind. I need to get some ammo loaded up for a range trip.

The Bullet: Laser Cast 250 gr RN FP. The powder: Unique and 231.

I understand from reading here that 8.1 gr of Unique is a good load to start with, correct? What is a good load for 231 powder?

Do I use a heavy crimp? Do I crimp at the very top of the canalure?

I've reloaded many .38/.357 and .45 acp so I'm not a newbe, but I am a newbe to the .45 Colt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All,
Alan

DGW1949

Hunter
Start with 8.0 Unique and work towards 8.5
Somewhere in amongst the two, you'll find your best accuracy...and yes, you do need to use a fairly-heavy roll-crimp.

Not a fan of ball powders, so I can't help with the 231.

DGW

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
W-231 works very nicely in the 45 Colt with 250 grain bullets. 7.0 grains gives about 850 fps in my 7 1/2" SAAs. Because of its burning characteristics the load range is a bit narrow, so be sure to check published data.

Rclark

Hunter
While I agree with the load (8.0 to 8.5 Unique), you don't need a heavy roll crimp. All you need is enough crimp to roll the case lip a bit into the crimp groove. Like the following:

crimp45ColtRNFP_zpsqbrf6okr.jpg

Rodfac

Blackhawk
First off, to the OP, you can take Rclark's advise on loading for the .45 Colt to the bank! He continues to cling to that venerable old round (over the clearly superior .44 Special) despite determined efforts to edge-a-cate him. Just kidding, all, Senor Clark is the man on all things .45 Colt!

That said, with Missouri Bullet Co.'s 255 LSWC, I've had sub-2" groups at 25 yds. with 7.5 gr of Win 231. This combination gave me 823 fps over my chrono. I use a moderately heavy crimp with all .45 Colt loads. For me, 8.0 grains of Unique does equally well.

As always, these are MY LOADS, which I feel are safe in my guns. If interested, you should work up to them, after consulting a GOOD loading manual and considering all pressure implications.

Best Regards, Rod

DGW1949

Hunter
Rclark said:
While I agree with the load (8.0 to 8.5 Unique), you don't need a heavy roll crimp. All you need is enough crimp to roll the case lip a bit into the crimp groove. Like the following:

Looking at your pictured example, it's easy to see that it was assembled with a good-bit of neck tension, which is something that I strive for myself. And yes, I'd be the first to agree that a bit of a "wasps waist" in terms of neck tension beat's a "heavy crimp" hands down any day.
Thing is though, I've found that there's such a discrepancy in bullet diameter, brass, and/or to be found within the various 45LC dies which have been marketed over the years that the results you picture are not "automatically" obtained by someone "new to the caliber" whom for whatever reason, seems to have randomly picked his components and/or tooling and then afterwards, sought advice on how to use it all...hence my "yes, you do need a fairly-heavy roll crimp" in response to his question, which given the information I was being presented with, still doesn't seem to have been out of order.

Not saying that I'm right and you are wrong, not at all.
I'm just simply saying that there's more than one way to skin a cat, that the OP was only asking about one certain way, and that's what my answer was based on.

No offense meant to anyone.

DGW

DGW1949 said:
Looking at your pictured example, it's easy to see that it was assembled with a good-bit of neck tension, which is something that I strive for myself. And yes, I'd be the first to agree that a bit of a "wasps waist" in terms of neck tension beat's a "heavy crimp" hands down any day.

Yup I agree, like to see that in my loads also. ps

daveg.inkc

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
Rclark said:

Thing is though, I've found that there's such a discrepancy in bullet diameter, brass, and/or to be found within the various 45LC dies which have been marketed over the years that the results you picture are not "automatically" obtained by someone "new to the caliber" whom for whatever reason, seems to have randomly picked his components and/or tooling and then afterwards, sought advice on how to use it all...hence my "yes, you do need a fairly-heavy roll crimp" in response to his question, which given the information I was being presented with, still doesn't seem to have been out of order.

Not saying that I'm right and you are wrong, not at all.
I'm just simply saying that there's more than one way to skin a cat, that the OP was only asking about one certain way, and that's what my answer was based on.

No offense meant to anyone.

DGW
. When do we get to the cat skinning? Dont you start at hind feet like skinning a coon?

Fanner50

Bearcat
Guys I really appreciate all of the replies. I am learning from all of them. Please keep them coming. Thanks to all who have taken the time to post, and the pictures. Please don't skin cats lol. I love cats. :)

Latest posts