Some More Holly Grips - Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

101VooDoo

Single-Sixer
Thought I'd show the grips with a bit of age on them - darkening up nicely.

Jim

HollyGripsAged.jpg

Couple sets of Private Schultz' Holly grips arrived today...

HollyGrips.jpg

Jim

101VooDoo

Single-Sixer
My son took the picture for me, rush job as the light was fading. Thought he did a fine job.

The leather is made by Ross Leather, its actually pretty reasonably priced. I bought it at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Belt was $109, Holster was $74 I think, - a 5% military discount. Waiting for a cross draw for the 7 1/2, should be here tomorrow.

Jim

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Looks sweet!! I love Holly grips! And,... is that black hardware I spot!? That is perfect on Holly too!

J.Solo

Single-Sixer
PVTSCHULTZ makes some fine grips.

I can't wait until I receive my End of year Spalted Curly Maple KARMA Grips for my 9.5" Single Six/Blackhawk. I know they will look GREAT.
I will post a picture when they arrive.

J.Solo

contender

Ruger Guru
As mentioned,, a great pic. But since you are newer here 101VooDoo,, as a collector who likes to point out the correct terminology,,, the 'red" eagles you mentioned,, are actually silver eagles with the red background. The true red eagles were only used on the earliest 22 semi's made from 8/49 until 1/52. The eagle was then changed to black to honor the designer of the eagle and his friend,, Alex Sturm. They changed the color of the eagles to silver in the early 1970's.
I'm not giving you a hard time,, I just like to help folks learn more about Rugers!

101VooDoo

Single-Sixer
No sweat contender, appreciate the clarification.

I had heard about the change from red to black years ago, but didn't realize the original eagle was red.

Are medallions with a red eagle available anywhere?

Jim

contender

Ruger Guru
Hi Jim,,,
I'm glad you didn't get ruffled feathers about the minor correction. As for true "red eagle" medallions,, they were only in the 22 semi-autos. But,, quite often,, someone will take the OM medallions,,, (The eagle is a recessed vs a raised type,) clean out the black paint,, & re-paint it with red paint.
It would be a bit harder to clean out the red background,, and clean off the silver plating,, and then redo the NM medallions. It can be done,, but would be more labor intensive.
I actually have a pair of OM stocks that were done with the red eagles,, and of course,, they are NOT original. I have seen a few folks try & convince me that their gun was "bought new" that way. I saw a NM Single-Six with a set of OM eagles done in red that the guy SWORE his daddy bought the gun new that way. He refused to believe me,,,! Oh well.
if you want to see a pic of the red eagles,, I could take a few shots,,!

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Thank you for posting that picture. It is sometimes hard to explain to people wanting an "aged ivory" grip that American Holly ages over time and will amber slightly.

And of course, great photography!