Some heavy bullets and my Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I decided to give some recently cast #358429 SWC's a go in some .357 cases. With the brass trimmed down to its shortest trim length there was room to spare with these in the cylinder. I tried a not so hot load of 13.0 grains of 2400. Due to an arm injury all my shooting is done one handed and from a rest at 25 yards. These bullets were cast from some left over lead round balls I had about, water dropped and lubed with Lee Alox. After the first two cylinders I noticed some leading but nothing too drastic. I think the next batch will be straight wheel weights and water dropped, I have done those before and next to no leading that way. While not as accurate as I had hoped, they are certainly "minute of deer"

RoverSig

Bearcat
Nice, and nice shooting.

I am loading fairly heavy bullets (230-250 grain) in my .41 Blackhawk, but no need there to trim the cases. I have a (probably biased) liking for Keith bullets that follow the original Keith specs -- square cut grease grooves, square shoulder on base, wide meplat, broad driving band. All of that puts the heavier Keith bullets well forward of the case in .41, leaving more room for powder (which I don't need with my 6.5 - 7.5 grain loads of Unique, which don't take much room) but I do use magnum primers to improve ignition.

stevemb

Hunter
I've ordered some SWC's from Matt's Bullets that I'm waiting on. They are called 170gr Keith's. Hmmnnnn...there's some 2400 around here someplace. stevemb

Latest posts