Some days are not meant for reloading.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
So I received my order of .44 mag bullets. Montana Bullet Works 300gr WFN-GC sized .430.

Decided the powder charges I was going to work with. Had the new Starline brass all trimmed, primed and ready to go. Have to reset the seating die of course. So using a primed case with no powder to set the proper seating, went just a hair to much. No problem that's what kinetic pullers are for.

Well I can tell you my bullets have a nice tight fit in the case without being crimped. Get the seating die set and remove the bullet from the case so I can set up the powder die, pull the bullet. What the heck is that gas check doing still in the case and how do I get it out?

Google can be your friend. After reading a dozen guys method of removing gas checks, I finally drilled a small hole in the gas check inserted a PK screw and pulled it with pliers. They don't have enough mass for the kinetic, wouldn't turn sideways in the case with a push on one side because of the tight fit so I could use needle nose pliers.

So I decided that today was not going to be a reloading day. Came in started a pot of beans for supper and having a Toddie while reflecting upon the joys of reloading.

I just don't think .44 mags like a guy named 45Colt_Man. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back at it tomorrow.

Dana

anachronism

Single-Sixer
Stuck gaschecks can be removed by pushing on one side with a small screwdriver to turn it sideways in the case. Then simply pluck it out, with pliers if necessary. Often times, you can do it with your fingers if it's high enough in the case.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have made a couple of mistakes when loading ammo and I agree they can be a little disconcerting. You hope to catch them quickly and you hope that you can fix them easily and every one reminds you that you need to be very careful. Start fresh with a good attitude and make great ammo. That's the ticket. :D :D

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
My 12 gauge shotshell loading session got off to a shaky start yesterday as I began to refill the 100 rounds I emptied on the previous day.
First, I dumped a couple hundred wads on the floor as the cheapo Walmart plastic drawer I keep them in decided today was the day that the drawer stop would fail. After the cleanup and grumbling, I began to fill the shot and powder bottles of my MEC Sizemaster. Now, MEC bottles are not renowned for their transparency anyway, but I lost sight of the powder as I was filling the bottle, probably because I blinked a tad too long. There it was, a full bottle and half-full funnel sitting atop my machine. Trying to avoid a mess, I scooped out the excess with a teaspoon, only spilling just a "little". More grumbling, but now I was READY. As I passed the first shell I loaded over to the crimp station, I bumped my knuckles into the wad hopper that was too close to the machine. Of course, I dumped the contents of the shell onto the table, and the floor. It's funny how one ounce of shot turns into 2 pounds when it's loose. After that cleanup and more grumbling, I missed the hand transfer on the operating handle that occurs after I've pushed the powder bar to the left. The MEC, behaving like the well-oiled machine that it is, shot to the top of its stroke and came to a jarring halt. This action caused the primer feed tray lid to jump up and either dump most of the primers on the floor or tip them on their sides. I've been reloading since the '70s and never had so many mishaps in one day.
Sheesh! This is one of those days when I shoulda stood in bed.