Solid Optic mount on Super Blackhawk ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TexasJake

Bearcat
Hello,

Picked up a vintage 80's Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. I am looking to shot the big Buffalo Bore or similar heavy loads out of the thing. I ordered a set of Badger wood oversized grips and am looking for a solid optic mount now.

I was looking at the older Weaver scope base. I can find one on the secondary market (discontinued now) and was wondering if anyone thought this would or would not hold up to the heavy recoil of those stout loads.

If anyone has another suggestion, let me know. I am willing to drill into the frame if that gets the job done. Prefer not to, but lets see what people think.

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-05-at-6-36-17-PM.jpg

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I have the Weaver on my Super Blackhawk and my loads aren't up to the loads your talking about, but they're pretty stout. I installed it many years ago and didn't use any LockTite, but it's never moved.

Aqualung

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Aqualung said:
I have the Weaver on my Super Blackhawk and my loads aren't up to the loads your talking about, but they're pretty stout. I installed it many years ago and didn't use any LockTite, but it's never moved.

Aqualung

I've been happy with the Weaver as well.
M2EndEM.jpg

Seminole Wind

Bearcat
The Weaver no drill mounts work great if you can find one. EGW also makes a great mount that requires a couple of holes to be d/t, as does the classic Leupold dual dovetail mount. For clean looks, it's hard to beat the Leupold mount.

Another vote for Weigand. I use his non-drill mini mount for my .30 Carbine Blackhawk, with a Burris FastFire II. Works great and solid so far.
He makes a larger non-drill for scopes.

Attachments

• IMG_3771.jpg
    IMG_3771.jpg
    857.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3772.jpg
    IMG_3772.jpg
    729.2 KB · Views: 105

Enigma

Hunter
Weigand, and forget about the others. I'm not saying that they're not good quality, but Jack Weigand has devoted a lot of time and effort to designing scope mounts for handguns that STAY PUT. He even offers one for the .454 Casull and .480 Ruger Super Blackhawks that just plain works. Buy a Weigand and don't worry about it in the future, or not.