Soldier Killed by bear on JBER Army Base, Anchorage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Prayers for the family.

Too few details,, but I wonder if a food smell brought the bear around.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
It’s also likely that while armed the soldiers didn’t have any live ammo. While the 5.56 is really only a varmit round a full mag would likely be enough to stop even a very large bear.

It’s also likely that while armed the soldiers didn’t have any live ammo. While the 5.56 is really only a varmit round a full mag would likely be enough to stop even a very large bear.

Seems like I've read about an Inuit man being attacked by a polar bear, while he was armed with an M-16 (w/ live ammo) from the National Guard armory. The man survived, but the bear did not.

Last edited:

ediogenes

Bearcat
I would suggest that several 3-4 round full-auto bursts would discourage even a large grizzly. Penetration is key, and there would be no lack of it.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Many moons ago I attended a little course. At the end was an exercise and you were give 10 rounds for your walk in the swamp.

There’s always one idiot and the one with us ask what the ammo was for. The answer came back, the alligators. They weren’t joking.

You’d think that if you’re in bear country you have something capable to deal with, yep you guessed it, bears.