Sold my 50th Anniversay Blackhawk and got this

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Juniper

Bearcat
357006.jpg

Have owned a Ruger single action for over 25 years, with my first being an old model single six convetible. When the 50th Anniversary Blackhawks came out I ordered one from my FFL dealer. I was excited when it arrived and my first impressions were all great. I kept taking it out of the box and looking it over, getting the feel and whiping it down. After a few days I noticed the bluing had a few streaks that would not wipe away and realized that was the way it had came. This caused me to become more critical of the transfer bar rattle noise and the internal lock that was hidden under the grip. Its easy to pick anything apart when you start to get down on it and that is just what I did, even though it was a fine gun and I wanted it for shooting. It finally aggrevated me enough to send it back to the dealer who placed it on his shelf and sold it for me to recover my initial funds. I lost interest in the other 50th Anniversary guns and even the new .44 special, which I may regret yet. However, just recently I had a trade offer and obtained a 1966 Blackhawk 357 4 /8 unconverted. Its in good shape for being 43 years old, no rattles and the trigger is much better. I still think the new models are well made and allow the safer 6 carry rounds, but I don't believe I would trade this old model for another 50th Anniversary. I guess some dogs just can't learn new tricks.

Dale53

Blackhawk
Juniper;
I understand where you are coming from but I DO believe you made a mistake by-passing the new .44 Lipsey Special. I bought a 5½" (my favorite single action barrel length) and it is a DANDY. It is set to become my all time favorite single action revolver. It shoots, too:

img063.jpg

This was done standing at 25 yards. This, in spite of serious vision problems when using iron sights. The revolver is not perfect (like every Ruger I've ever owned, it needed a trigger job) but it IS a dandy!

Brian Peace has a great article on this revolver in the June 2009 Handloader (#260).

Dale53

DGW1949

Hunter
Yeah Juniper, I'm feeling ya.

I've tried to warm-up to the post 3-screw guns, and have even bought a couple. But I just can't get past them two pins, the forward sitting trigger, the clunkt feel of the big-frame NM's, and the fact that without modifications, the things immeadiately begins chewing on the cylinder.
I gotta say though....at least the smaller framed XR3-gripped versions feel and balance like a SA is supposed to. If Ruger was to offer a 45LC based on the 50th 357, I'd probably be tempted enough to buy one and then fix it to suit me. But as yet, they don't.

That's a nice looking old Ruger you got there. Good trade.

DGW

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Dale53":1rbac8ba said:
This was done standing at 25 yards. This, in spite of serious vision problems when using iron sights.

I have vision problems also. Why the heck can't I shoot like that?
I gotta admit; I have no sympathy.
Sonnytoo
p.s. I also love the old models.

Juniper

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies... Dale53 you make a strong case with your new .44 special, very nice shooting! If Ruger places the .44 in the standard Blackhawk lineup for 2010 and keeps the lock off, I may have to reconsider my opinion? In the meantime I hope to make this old model .357 sing as well as your .44 Lipsey Special.

Dale53

Blackhawk
Juniper.
My brother has an old model just like yours and it shoots just FINE! I'll bet yours does too.

There is nothing whatever wrong with liking an old model. You just should of kept the new one too :lol: (like we all have all the money in the world...).

However, you might want to re-think owning a Lipsey...

Dale53

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
While I'm not about to trade in any of my New Models, I was thinking recently that if I had a "hole" in my collection it would be the fact that I don't have an OM Ruger. I'll have to fix that some day.

-- Sam

JNewell

Single-Sixer
This whole topic is YMMV...my post is certainly YMMV...here goes.

The 50th Blackhawk is probably the best made, best finished regular production centerfire Ruger has made in the last 25 years or so.

That said, there is some magic to the OMs. I didn't believe it until I got ahold of some OMs. They are in a different class...IMO.

FXWG

Bearcat
I may be biased, but I agree.
This one has become my favorite revolver that I have ever owned.
100_0179a.jpg

I'll get tarred and feathered but Juniper, I couldn't agree more. I bought two of the Lipsey's 44 Specials and a 50th Anniv. 357 and sold all three and kept my old models. The guns were finished very well and I'm sure would be great revovlers but for me the "character" just wasn't there. I know, a midsized factory 44 Special and I still wasn't happy. :oops:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Robb Barnes":1guw5qs7 said:
I'll get tarred and feathered but Juniper, I couldn't agree more. I bought two of the Lipsey's 44 Specials and a 50th Anniv. 357 and sold all three and kept my old models. The guns were finished very well and I'm sure would be great revovlers but for me the "character" just wasn't there. I know, a midsized factory 44 Special and I still wasn't happy. :oops:
Funny thing about that "midsized" frame thing...

I was doing some comparison shooting of my (NM) .45 Colt Accusport and my Lipsey's .44 Special, and noted that they felt very similar in weight. I put them on the scale when I got home and found the stainless Bisley is only ~3oz heavier than the Lipsey's gun. Both are 5.5" barrels, and the Lipsey's has extended grip panels. It's dimensionally smaller, and feels a little svelter (is that a word?), but mass doesn't lie.

Is there such a thing as a factory "old model" Bisley?

-- Sam

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Juniper, I'm glad to note you aren't planning a .44 Spl conversion of that fine OM .357 like so many do. Skeeter loved the .357 for a reason! (notwithstanding his own conversion).......JMO, Dennis

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Juniper":35dr6qr6 said:
After a few days I noticed the bluing had a few streaks that would not wipe away and realized that was the way it had came.

I think you made a good trade. About 6 months ago I went to buy a 50th Anniversary .357 Blackhawk and the bluing on the frame was exactly like you described....streaking and uneven. It was just a poor job of bluing so I passed on the gun. I have since seen others that looked perfect. So I guess the moral is: Look over any gun before buying it. Quality varies from piece to piece.

batmann

Single-Sixer
Juniper":2ul465j7 said:
Thanks for the replies... Dale53 you make a strong case with your new .44 special, very nice shooting! If Ruger places the .44 in the standard Blackhawk lineup for 2010 and keeps the lock off, I may have to reconsider my opinion? In the meantime I hope to make this old model .357 sing as well as your .44 Lipsey Special.

I have both the 50TH in .357 and the Lipsey .44 Spl and the frame size is near perfect. As for the lock, DO NOT let it stand in the way of one. It is a non issue and sits under the grips out of sight.

Latest posts