I put an ad in the paper that started Friday for;

2,000rds .44 Mag 240gr JHP - $1,220
1,000rds .357 158gr JSP - $475
1,000rds 9mm 124gr FMJ - $330
700rds .38 Special +P 158gr TMJ $150
4,700rds .22LR 36gr JHP $185
1,000rds .22LR Russian crap lead HP $20
360rds .204 Ruger various weights $285

By noon on Friday I was sold out of everything except the .44mag plus sold 2 rifles! The .44 mag was highly sought after but everyone tried to buy it for like $500/case and I laughed and said try the internet, Cabelas, local stores etc and they "will be back" :lol: What's funny is after the .22, the most sought after was the .38 Special. I thought it was going to be the next to last, right before the .204 Ruger. Anyway, ammo drought isn't over. BTW, almost everyone who called asked what store I was from!

BearStopper

Blackhawk
In my area of Southern Oregon most of the ammo is starting to stay on the shelves instead of flying off. Plenty of 22 LR and primers too at normal prices instead of inflated. I would have to say that there is some light at the end of the tunnel because all the dealers are starting to get what they order for the most part. I cannot imagine why anyone who shoots much at all wouldnt just reload since the cost of buying ammo in alot of situations can be outrageous.

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't think the primer/ammo drought is over yet. I checked with a few folks at SHOT & the demand is still high,, while the supply is still limited!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
contender":bhnn2t5s said:
I don't think the primer/ammo drought is over yet. I checked with a few folks at SHOT & the demand is still high,, while the supply is still limited!

Hi,

What I see in my neighborhood (SoCal) echoes Contender's info...

Rick C

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
Just an update I sold the 2000rds of .44mag today for $1100. A great deal but the stuff was just collecting dust and now I can get something else. Also wanted to say I have received THREE more calls on the .38+P. I just didn't realize their was that much demand for that.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
MADISON":32f89v41 said:
I hope you have the proper Reload's FFL and the Federally required One million dollar liability insurance policy.

I didn't see a single thing mentioning the ammo was reloads.

LightningMan

Bearcat
BearStopper":3i5i5nwl said:
In my area of Southern Oregon most of the ammo is starting to stay on the shelves instead of flying off. Plenty of 22 LR and primers too at normal prices instead of inflated. I would have to say that there is some light at the end of the tunnel because all the dealers are starting to get what they order for the most part. I cannot imagine why anyone who shoots much at all wouldnt just reload since the cost of buying ammo in alot of situations can be outrageous.
I reload all the calibers I shoot but still buy factory ammo when I can find it at a good price. The reason being that factory ammo is like a having gold, easy to sell when it gets scarce, as not many folks will buy reloads. Look at it this way, if you have a .380 for sale but ammo is nearly impossable to find, how much easier will that pistol be to sell if you have a few boxes of factory ammo to go with it. LM

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
I've just started reloading .357 & .45 ACP. Stuff is out there but you have to be aggressive. Phone around. Hit WalMart every morning (hehe... I have one on my way home from work...and I work nights... :D ). Find out when shipments are scheduled. My local Turner's gets their reloading stuff Wednesdays. That's when I call.

I bought CCI SP & LP primers last week for about $35/1000. Another shop had 'em at $39/1000.

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm not a bit surprized about the 22's and 38 Spl's selling fast. Even these days, they are still two of the most popular cartridges there is.
If you stumble up on a "deal" on either of those two, sticking some away aint a bad investment strategy. My retirement "portfolio" contains various amounts of factory .22LR, 38's, 9MM, 45ACP, plus a couple of rifle calibers. As BeagleDog discovered, factory ammo is easy to sell when the time comes. Might or might not turn out to be "good as gold" over the long haul but it dern sure aint going to loose any value.

DGW

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
There has been significantly more on the shelves around here the last 3 months. We went for about 9 months where I never saw Fed. or Win. bulk pack 22 ammo. Now it's pretty easy to find (now that I'm fully stocked). I wouldn't say the shelves are full, but it's a huge difference from last summer/fall.

Rainman

Blackhawk
The drought seems to be more regionalized than it was in the past. Here in North Georgia, things are still tight on ammo and primers. Some 38s, 357s and 40s are starting to show up but primers are non-existant.

Last month, I was in Wal Mart in Socorro, New Mexico and they had a plentiful supply of every caliber they normally stock except .380.

Dan

Rclark

Hunter
Checked Walmart Monday night. They did have a 6 boxes of bulk .22 (Winchester and Federal Target grade) . Picked up 4 boxes. First .22 ammo I've seen in Walmart for a long time. At that, it sure wasn't much :( . Probably should have grabbed the other two.....

What's with the '333' to 350 shells per box ???? Not long ago it was 500-550...

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
LightningMan":2f6or4rm said:
BearStopper":2f6or4rm said:
I reload all the calibers I shoot but still buy factory ammo when I can find it at a good price. The reason being that factory ammo is like a having gold, easy to sell when it gets scarce, as not many folks will buy reloads. Look at it this way, if you have a .380 for sale but ammo is nearly impossable to find, how much easier will that pistol be to sell if you have a few boxes of factory ammo to go with it. LM

Obviously a bit since I visited this thread but I do want to add a few things. 1) LM hit it on the head. I have sold about 5 guns over the last 6 months and having some ammo to go along with it has been the key. In almost every sale the buyer has tried to separate the ammo from the gun to just buy the ammo - no dice and all guns have sold, and as some of you may have picked up, I sold two guns I hadn't even advertised just because people came over to pick up ammo. 2) As most of you picked up, I never tried to sell reloads, especially since I don't reload :lol: . Other than that Russian, all was Federal American Eagle, Winchester, Remington, Hornady, or Speer, clearly stating so in the ad.

MTHanded

Bearcat
Just got back from Wal-mart this afternoon. Everything on the shelves, stocked and most calibers had more than one brand. 9mm were Rem. and Winchester and plenty of all the rifle cart. My local gun shop has had a case of small primers on the shelf for the last month at $30.00/1,000. For us anyway, the drought is over but, the prices have gone up at least $1.00 box of 50.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
Anyone try and get Hornday Critical Self Defense .380 off the shelf? I just got an email that my backordered since 12/14 was NOW mid MAY!!!!!!!!!!! RIDICULOUS :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Yesterday there were four boxes of the stuff sitting on the shelf of a store not 1/4 mile from where I'm currently sitting. It's been there for a few days, too, which is odd, because .380 is still selling pretty hot around here.

$17.95/20. PM/email me if you want me to check it out for you. Shipping may not be cheap, but I'd be willing.

Now the .45 ACP stuff, I haven't seen in the 6 mos. I've been looking for it.

I don't carry a .380 much myself, but when I do I stick with ball ammo, fwiw. I figure that little bullet needs all the weight it can get, and I've seen too many jackets come peeling off of JHP rounds.

-- Sam

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":n7hxtd3g said:
Yesterday there were four boxes of the stuff sitting on the shelf of a store not 1/4 mile from where I'm currently sitting. It's been there for a few days, too, which is odd, because .380 is still selling pretty hot around here.

$17.95/20. PM/email me if you want me to check it out for you. Shipping may not be cheap, but I'd be willing.

Now the .45 ACP stuff, I haven't seen in the 6 mos. I've been looking for it.

I don't carry a .380 much myself, but when I do I stick with ball ammo, fwiw. I figure that little bullet needs all the weight it can get, and I've seen too many jackets come peeling off of JHP rounds.

-- Sam

That's so nice Sam but don't sweat it. I have to admit I haven't seen the stuff on the shelf ANYWHERE here in AZ but I do have some other to carry me through. The reason I was interested in the CSD was it's claim that the, I believe it was, polymer tip would expand reliably. Their videos were sure impressive. I am just upset the vendor would lead me on like this - the 4th such update "it will be in by such and such date"!!

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
It does look impressive, and I carry it in 9mm. I've been looking for the .45 ACP, too. They have it in .44 mag and a few others.

Oddly enough, it looks like this bullet has a following in the hunting crowd, too. It's a gel-filled hollow point, with the idea that it can't become fouled in clothing (or hide), as well as providing uniform expansion. Looks promising on paper. Jacket separation may still be an issue.

FWIW, I still have some older Federal EFMJ rounds...

-- Sam

Latest posts