softer loads for the 480 Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
At the moment. I have 2 480 Ruger handguns; a 7-1/2 " SRH and an Alaskan.

What I am looking for today, is a source for loading data that features a cast bullet of between 325 grs., and 360 grs. loaded to a velocity of 800 to 950 fps. I have looked at the normal sources, but they all seem to favor balls-to-the-wall loads, which is fine for the ugly stuff, but a bit much popping soda cans.

Anyone here know where I should look? 8)

stevemb

Hunter
This is what I'm searching for too. Awaiting a SBH myself. Have received a box of Penn Bullets 335gr'ers. A very wide point. I could take a pic of w/cell phone, if someone pm's me a cell, I'd send if they'll post ??? But am also interested in lighter loads to mid range loads. No buffs or brown bears around here. A lot of hanging steel in the backyard, and deer. I've seen that 10gr of Unique loading and will be trying that too.

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
I am fixing to try some 10gr Universal for my Alaskan. Will be with the 390gr 477-640 HP's out of a "Cast Boolits" Group buy rather than the lighter ones OP asked about. Gotta run what I got :) I know they shoot good when launched with Lil'Gun or H110, will see if they like to slow down a little.
Kevin

Dan in MI

Staff member
I am an admitted wild cat lover and full time experimeter so take this with your appropriate level of caution.

IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE EXPERIMENTING ON YOUR OWN STOP READING NOW.

This just sounds like a perfect place for some SR4759 or MP5744.

I do not own this roud, nor have I experminted with it. If I was going to play with this I'd start with a bunch of case comparisons and burn rate charts to get and idea where to start.

20grs of SR with a cast 240 make the .44 mag darn near pleasant to shoot. I can't see how it wouldn't be just fine in a .480 with a little experimenting.

dougader

Hunter
I loaded up some 480 with Dick's 385 grain MiHec hp, powder coated, and used 12.7 grains Hercules Blue Dot for an average of 1008 fps, 30 fps extreme spread in a 7-1/2" Ruger SRH.

Nice, easy load with room to grow if you want a little more velocity. I should have some 370 grain bullets on my way in a few days and plan to do a lot more work-up with several powders.