softer cast bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zacharoo

Bearcat
I have a ruger blackhawk that has over sized chambers. I tried .454 dia. hard cast bullets and the accuracy is better. But I still get a lot of leading. Some one advised i get some softer bullets. Anyone out there have any cast .454 in a 255 gr. weight. i would like to find some that are about 15 or so the ones i have are 20 or 21.

Zacharoo

sixshot

Buckeye
Zacharoo, you might as well just buy a bullet mould & shoot them as is, just lube them without sizing & that might just fix your problem. Wheelweight alloy usually runs 9-11 BHN.

Dick

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Remington's 45 Colt offering is swaged, as are choices from Speer (they DO still offer a .454" swaged choice, don't they?) and Hornady.

And Penn Bullets might have some alloy choices for cast bullets, too.......

Bucks Owin

Hunter
zacharoo":2ahhava1 said:
I have a ruger blackhawk that has over sized chambers. I tried .454 dia. hard cast bullets and the accuracy is better. But I still get a lot of leading. Some one advised i get some softer bullets. Anyone out there have any cast .454 in a 255 gr. weight. i would like to find some that are about 15 or so the ones i have are 20 or 21.

Zacharoo
Dittos with my .45 BH, .456" throats. The Hornady 255 gr "cowboy" bullet is .454" and gives me decent accuracy "bumped" with a fairly stiff load of HS-6. (1050-1100 fps) I give them a coat of Lee Liquid Alox before seating and get very little leading. Just wish they'd put a crimp groove on this bullet! I've been using a 250 XTP dummy round to set my seating depth and crimping into the side of the bullet. Not ideal, but crimping over the ogive seats pretty deep IMO. Still shoots 2" in my gun. Haven't shot any of the Rem bulk lead .454's but intend to soon. I'm hoping that a soon to be aquired Lyman mold 457122 sized to .454" is going to be my all around heavy .45 Colt projectile :wink: FWIW, Dennis

falconer

Bearcat
I cast my own and by cold dousing the bullets right out oof the mold, I can drive the bhn high enough to handle anything below my .454 . try matching the hardness to the pressure,( cup ) and you can minimize leading. Also use a good lube. I use alox by LEE

falconer

Bearcat
I cast my own and by cold dousing the bullets right out of the mold, I can drive the bhn high enough to handle anything below my .454 . try matching the hardness to the pressure,( cup ) and you can minimize leading. Also use a good lube. I use alox by LEE.

DGW1949

Hunter
J Miller":896bivl0 said:
Check out Black River Bullets. He specializes in Keith SWCS and makes them to around 12 BHN normally.
http://www.blackriverbullet.com/
Last time I checked his price for the 265gr .454" Keith sWC was 11.00 per 100.

Joe

I was perty-excited about your post...untill I linked to the site.
Looks like they've discontinued making 255's. Bummer.

DGW

J Miller

Blackhawk
DGW1949":3ocolkgm said:
J Miller":3ocolkgm said:
Check out Black River Bullets. He specializes in Keith SWCS and makes them to around 12 BHN normally.
http://www.blackriverbullet.com/
Last time I checked his price for the 265gr .454" Keith sWC was 11.00 per 100.

Joe

I was perty-excited about your post...untill I linked to the site.
Looks like they've discontinued making 255's. Bummer.

DGW

DGW,

Last time I talked to him on the phone (just a one man operation) I asked about that. The problem with the 255gr bullets is he has two 2 cavity molds, same brand, same number, but the bullets are definitely different. Looks like the molds were cut with a different cheery. So if you order some you'll end up with about half and half. That's what happened with my order.

He told me he might be convinced to make a run of them but since he uses both molds there would be a variation in bullets due to the difference in molds.
I haven't ordered any 255s since then. The 265s work just fine for what I'm doing.

You might give him a phone call. Can't hurt. His name is Joe.

Joe

zacharoo

Bearcat
Shot some of the SAA 270 gr. bullets that Clint sent me. They were .454 dia. I think . And about 280 grains. I used 13 grains of HS-6. Man my ruger shot like a target rifle to me. I can now shot a good group with my blackhawk if I do my part. About 2 1/4 in. at 25 yards. I have looked every where and can't find the same bullet. I sure would like to find 5 hundred to keep up with my shooting. I don't cast . I felt so good about the last groups I shot I gave my buddy 400 rounds of some cast I had that was .451 . To small for my Liberty. Felt good to help him out he has tight cylinders with a .451 bore. THANKS CLINT YOU WERE RIGHT!!

Zacharoo