So which one would you chose a GSR or a Mini 30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wildhobbybobby

Bearcat
I have owned both and still have the GSR. It is in a different league when it comes to power, range and accuracy. Plus, if you are a handloader, it doesn't throw brass into the next zipcode. But only you can decide...get the one you want most.

wwb

Hunter
To each his own.... I would have no use for either. If I were forced to choose one or the other, though, it would be the GSR in .308 --- no contest at all.

My two big game rifles are a 96/44 and a tang-safety M77 .30-06. Between the two, they take care of heavy cover short range hunting and open country medium to long range hunting.

kentdep

Single-Sixer
Thanks for chiming in guys. I have been on the kick for a utility rifle for some time... Don't know why maybe because of watching The Walking Dead or similar shows??? :roll:

I had an AR and really didn't fall in love with it. So I was just wondering what you guys thought on the subject.

Jay

johnnysespresso

Bearcat
I have a GSR and love it for it's trigger, accuracy, and versatility. It comes with good iron sights, can use a scout scope (what I put on mine), or a conventional scope. The 308 Win cartridge is very versatile as well. The Mini 30 not so much.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Two very different rifles with two different skillsets. What do you want to use the thing for? Define that and you will lean in one direction or the other.

kentdep

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
Two very different rifles with two different skillsets. What do you want to use the thing for? Define that and you will lean in one direction or the other.

Hunting, light target shooting and doomsday I suppose.

Jay

9x19

Hunter
"Hunting" covers a lot of ground... but:

For me, the .308 bolt rifle (mine's a Savage) offers more thump at close range and more accuracy for long range, so if those were my only choices, I'd opt for the GSR.

Snake45

Hawkeye
kentdep said:
Snake45 said:

Jay
We're getting warmer.

Now, what do you plan to hunt, and at what typical range? (Or maybe I should ask what's the longest range you see needing the rifle for?)

I have owned both and would have to select the GSR for many of the same reasons as other members.

Power and range of the 308 round.

My GSR has an outstanding trigger. Many Mini's do not.

My intended use is for more deliberate slow fire. Hunting, target and defense.

Both are great but the GSR is just an outstanding product.

Mine will group an inch or so at 100 with lots of different factory and reloaded ammunition.

Bill

gramps

Hawkeye
I had a mini-30, and was shocked at how heavy it was to carry, plus the recoil was about as bad as my .308 Rem 788. At the range it was ok( 2-3 inch groups at 100yds), but double the range and triple the groups. I couldn't get past the rocking motion to insert a magazine. I vote for the GSR.
gramps

K1500

Single-Sixer
I'll be the voice of dissent. I like the scout concept, and although I have never shot the Ruger scout I am sure I would like it. That being said, the Mini 30 is better for self defense and nearly as good for most close to mid range hunting and plinking. If you want a scout scope, you can stick one on one of the forward rails made for the Mini. They are both good choices, but I think the plethora of cheap ammo and the auto loading action of the Mini makes it hard to beat for fun at the range. The Mini is also handy and iconic in a way a scout rifle is not.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
I had a mini-30 that would not shoot the cheap ammo at all. Even tried a Wolff xtra power hammer spring. Some do, some don't. That and it shot patterns at 100 yards at best forced me to pass it along. GSR hands down.

DGW1949

Hunter
kentdep said:
Snake45 said:

Jay

I agree with Snake.
There aint no perfect gun for all occassions.
In other words, If ask yourself the right questions you can find your (right) answer.

From the FWIW Dept:
My answer is that if you have a real need for a GSR, a Mini aint going to do.
On the other side of the equasion....if you have a real need for a Mini, a GSR aint going to do.

Can't use an apple to make orange juice, and can't use either to make a peach pie......just sayin'.

DGW

welder

Buckeye
Scout for me for many reasons: a very versatile round, stone cold reliability and simplicity, great balance for me, plenty of power and I like a bolt action best of all. Always have. The Scout would serve me in any situation I reasonably believe I would find myself, this includes property defense. I have owned a couple Mini 30's and while mine were fun reliable guns, the (then) mag issue and limited choices in ammo were the main reasons I let them go along with the poor accuracy. They were fun to shoot though and I would never disparage anyone's choice to have one.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I don't have a GSR but I really like my mini. It's a simple gun thats easy to take down for cleaning, a lot of fun shooting semi auto 20 rounds. A lot of aftermarket stuff for it and a smooth trigger (at least mine is). A very rugged, well built rifle. Works with any ammo, but I dont use the laquered steel stuff, only brass or plain steel.
I also have a rem bolt 308 that a lot of fun to shoot (I guess similar to the GSR).
Personally I'd get both for twice the fun.