So, which is worth more? Buckeyes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rockrat75

Bearcat
Have a pair of Buckeye 38-40/10mm. One complete gun in a plain yellow box, no markings on it, the other with the yellow box s/n'd to the gun as well as the shipping box, but with an aftermarket brass frame/grip.
Going to part with one, but which one??? Thought about taking the brass frame off , but didn't come with the origional frame so would have to put on a frame from a different gun.
Which one is worth more or they about the same, is the question?? Have a gun show coming up and wanting to put one up for sale.

Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
A complete un-altered gun would be worth more to me. Due to the scarcity of them,, original examples are more collectable.

BUT,, grip frames are easily swapped,, and if in original configuration, with the correct box & shipper,, I'd prefer that one. The fact that it has been altered suggests it's been shot,, so condition comes into play here too.

Condition is also a big factor. NIB, or ANIB is much more desirable than a gun with a cylinder turn line,, or blueing wear.

Hard to give an exact decision w/o seeing each gun. But,, in general,, if the condition is about the same, if I were buying,, I'd look at the brass g/fed gun as one to purchase due to the box & shipper.

either are worth about the same today as the 38-40 10MM has become MORE popular, add the fact you have a brass ( is it factory?) frame then that is the better one to sell,unless you prefer one of the calibers,,,they are a "true" set ONLY if the serial numbers match and as for the box, some of them the info was ONLY on the shipper, outside wrapper,,I have seen many over the years in their shippers , and the label on the box itself was missing?? they were lightly glued on, came off quite easily......which is in better shape?? boxed properly? choice of caliber?? ah, sum of the toal of the "paprts" and the "Pucker Factor".... 8) :roll: :wink:

now days with folks "wanting" one or the other and having seen so many "old model" frame made out of New Model frames,never know when someone figures out just what has to be done to reverse the process its only brass, and man made many different sized hand files to fit the job and drill a cross hole for the pin and voila, better than trying to cast your own "brass frame" and it sure would look neat.....gotta check around and see if its been done before, never say never, BUT then again at MY age, and NO "new" customers....ha ha 8) :wink:
hell I recall in the old days when folks sent me their old Rugers and I made "cutaways" :roll:

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
I had, then stupidly sold, one of the very first 32 combos to hit town. When I finally replaced it a couple of decades later, I paid nearly three times as much for the one I now have. I don't think I'll ever afford the 38-40/10mm but I don't plan to get rid of this 32 by sale or trade.
🐸