So tell me about the 50th annivers 357 BH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jager01

Bearcat
CDNN has them for $359.00. I was thinking about picking one up. Is there any difference between this and the normal BH and does it take standard factory Ruger wood grips? Thanks.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
It uses the New Vaquero grips. Also the grip frame is steel instead of the aluminum that comes with the blued Blackhawk. You will be very happy with the gun.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
It's different. Just looking at it tells ya that. It's a flat top for starters. Also, it does have a different grip frame than the regular BH's - it's closer to the old XR3 in dimension. The grip frame is steel and does have the locking mechanism. Not a big deal IMO. There' are aftermarket grips available for it. Overall it's slightly smaller dimensionally than the regular BH's as well as it's built on a medium sized frame same as the New Vaqueros.

Jager01

Bearcat
Thanks for the info gentlemen. Now I need to decide if I want this, a 4 inch BH, or one of the new Vaqueros for Christmas.

flatgate

Hawkeye
These guns were designed to be a commemorative model that celebrates the 50th Anniversary of Ruger's first centerfire revolver from 1955.

89556884.jpg

Above are two examples. One is a '55 Blackhawk, s/n 636, and the other is a 50th Anniv. Blackhawk, s/n 520-00636.

The 50th Anniv. gun sports a steel copy of the original grip frame from the '50's up until mid '62, the XR-3. The grips are very similar in size to the Colt Single Action Army's design. So, adding wood grips will require one to obtain the proper grips. Ruger's New Vaquero uses the same grip frame as do the 50th Anniv. Blackhawks and the Factory does have some "accessory" grips in that pattern. (I'm not "up to date" on what's currently available but www.ruger.com will be.... )

flatgate

PS That's a great price!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
D'mt, flatgate... :lol:

Our own 41 magnum has grips for those too as does PvtShultz.

rug357

Bearcat
I picked one up last month from CDNN too.
With shipping, tax, transfer, etc. it came to $405.
It is the only single action revolver I have and I like it a lot.
It shoots nice and balances right. Only negative pints I've found are heavy trigger pull with a lot of creep, plastic checkered grip that felt terrible in hand and the blue finish is not that great. All that said, for the price it is a great deal. I purchased a wood grip from Ruger for mine and it feels much better. I liked this one enough to want to get the 44 Special version later.

Here is a pic of mine

DSC_8396-1.jpg

DSC_8401-1.jpg

Rclark

Hunter
Only negative points I've found are heavy trigger pull with a lot of creep
Just lift one leg off the trigger spring and you are good to go. I have a nice trigger pull with it now.... My creep is smoothing out with use.

Oh yeah, I put bear paw grips on mine. Really like 'em as they fit my hand perfectly and force the hand to grip consistently every time from gun to gun (have them on most of my SAs now). http://stores.ebay.com/Bearpaw-Ruger-Grip-Store

Articles on the 50th .357 :

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=31

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... n27101346/

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Jager01":9bv20mrm said:
Thanks for the info gentlemen. Now I need to decide if I want this, a 4 inch BH, or one of the new Vaqueros for Christmas.

I picked one up for the same price in June and have absolutely loved it. My interest in single action Rugers began with the New Vaquero but I feel like I was able to get a somewhat more versatile gun (adjustible sights) that stays true to the old school vibe of a single action.

Hard to beat the price too!

DSCN4243-1.jpg

-Stephen

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
The 50th 357 is the same gun as the New Vaquero in 357, except with adjustable sights. Along with the 44Spl, these are the only adjustable-sight mid-frames built so far. Both are excellent guns.

In 357, these mid-frames aren't as strong as the large-frame 357s but it's cylinder is still beefier than a GP100, so it's certainly not "weak". It's a perfect size gun for dealing with the outer edge of the 357's envelope, it's beefy enough to take a nearly unlimited diet of monster loads and heavy enough to control 'em one-handed. It's basically the perfect 357 single action.

My daily carry piece is a New Vaquero in 357 with modded sights. When I bought it in 2005, the 50th 357 Blackhawk was more expensive and harder to get, so I settled on the NewVaq and eventually upgraded the sights past Blackhawk specs. No regrets, but it would have been easier starting out with the 50th 357.

Now that the 50th 357 has gone dirt cheap? THAT is the best SA 357 available short of a Freedom Arms.

Dale53

Blackhawk
Ruger357;
Those photographs are spectacular!

I have the .44 Lipsey Special (essentially the same revolver except for caliber). I LOVE my Lipsey (well, as much as you can love an inanimate object :oops: ). It shoots like a match pistol.

I had a trigger job done and it now has a 3lb trigger (my preference for a field pistol) and I DID have to replace the grips with Pachmayrs (Colt SAA). I can now shoot it comfortably and have all my fingers on the grip. They are not pretty but they sure are functional. With me, "Form follows function"...

Great set of revolvers - I really like the appearance of the Flattops.

Dale53

ebg3

Bearcat
I recently picked one up from cdnn. The cylinder is a little bit shorter than the regular .357 BH...found this out when loading the 173gr Keith bullet in mag brass. Have to trim brass to 1.265" with this bullet to make it work. I took mine apart and stoned and polished my hammer/sear and did away with the creep. Overall, the fit and finish is really good on my gun. Ordered a set of Holly grips from pvtschultz, and when they get in the gun will be perfect.