So looking to pickup a concealed carry gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
So I have narrowed my search to either a LCR or sp101. House defense wise I have my 4" GP100, so the new gun would only be for conceal carried away from the house and a backup at home, what do people think of either?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
can't go wrong with either. I use a SP101 myself sometimes. Equally important is a GOOD holster/belt set-up. Even more so is continued courses. :)

ranger7

Bearcat
I favor the LCR myself. My wife and I own 3 of them and I often carry two (NY reload) for self-defense.

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
ranger7":3j7zlcty said:
I favor the LCR myself. My wife and I own 3 of them and I often carry two (NY reload) for self-defense.

Thats good to hear, been leaning towards the LCR myself out of the two, like the look of it, now just need to go down and handle it in person to see if I like how it feels.

pisgah

Buckeye
Your choice really depends upon how you intend to carry your gun. If you choose to belt caryy, or use an IWB holster, the SP101 will do. In fact, it's one of the best hoster-carry guns available. For pocket carry you will find the LCR much friendlier.

I will say this about carrying in general -- no matter how fine the gun you choose, if it is too big for you to conceal under ALL conditions, or if it is too heavy (and it may seem fine first thing in the morning, and way too heavy in the afternoon), you will end up not carrying it. Lightweight 5-shot revolvers are far from the most comfortable guns to shoot, but for carrying they are hard to beat.

contender

Ruger Guru
Pisgah has given good advice.
Both guns are excellent choices,, but they are totally different in how they will feel.
Basically,,, if you carry them a lot & shoot them only a little,, then the light LCR is the way to go. If you carry them a little, & shoot them a lot,, the SP is the way to go.
The difference in their weight directly relates to how they feel when carried & when shooting. Heavier guns absorb recoil easier,, and lighter guns carry easier.
One big thing is that they should fit YOUR hand. Now,, if the two of y'all plan to use the same firearm,, then a compromise in grip selection might be in order. The LCR currently only has 2 options,, but both of those seem to feel the same. (One has harder material to house the Crimson Trace laser,) but the SP-101 has many aftermarket grip options. How it fits the hands also affects how felt recoil will be.
One good note is that practice ammo can be used in all 3,, 38 spl,, but if you do go with the LCR,, you can not use 357 mag ammo like the SP or your GP.
If at all possible,, find a way to test fire each one before choosing. That means both of y'all. I'd lean heavily toward whatever your wife is most comfortable with!

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
I have had both the sp101 and LCR. I loved my sp101 and sometimes wish I still had it. I did find it on the heavy side for all day carry. IMO it makes a great trail gun loaded with 357 mag. My LCR is definitely more carry friendly. I find the grip to large for pocket carry as far as printing goes. I just came back from shooting a few rounds out of my LCR not an hour ago.

IMG_0222.jpg

winterwood

Single-Sixer
I know I say it every time this discussion comes up :roll: , but I like the LCR and the Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake for daily carry... straight draw or canted on strong side or straight on crossdraw and OWB or IWB with optional straps.

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
My vote goes to the SP101. There are too many bugs in the LCR to trust it. Maybe later. For now I stick my Sp101 38 in pocket and feel I can rely on it. jmho greg

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
Well after going down and holding each of the guns I've decided the SP101 gets my vote, did not like the LCR at all, too light for me.

pisgah

Buckeye
EricandSuebee":2j9jc7uq said:
Well after going down and holding each of the guns I've decided the SP101 gets my vote, did not like the LCR at all, too light for me.

When it comes to shooting, your are just about 100% corrrect. I hope you feel the same when it comes to carrying. But neither choice you proposed is a loser.

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
SP101 gets my vote. They are built like little tanks and can be shot as much as wanted. Can't wrap my mind around the LCR I will have to see how they have held up over time. The new SR9C looks like a good option.

Latest posts