So I've been lurking on the XD boards...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ConradM

Blackhawk
revhigh":3ul42yvb said:
Mike J":3ul42yvb said:
My XD is plenty accurate Rev. It did take me a while to get used to it after shooting the P-944 but it all came together after a while.

I don't doubt it ... most who have them seem to like them. I've really only heard good things about them, but I wouldn't want one. Not my style.

REV

I've always liked the XDms... just didn't like it in a 4.5 inch barrel :p

Mike J

Hunter
When I first bought it I stank it up pretty bad. I had gotten to where I could hit a 20 ga shot gun shell casing consistenly at 12-13 yards with the P-944. I was all over the place with the XD. Then over time I got where I shoot the XD better. I wouldn't say the P-944 is less accurate but I don't shoot it as well.

96/44

Blackhawk
I have never been a fan of striker fired pistols, but I have shot my cousins XD40 quite a bit, and once I got the feel for the trigger(springy is the only way I could describe it), I have to admit I kind of like it. Feels much better in my hand than a Glock, and plenty accurate. If there is ever an XDM45 I would be seriously tempted, although a CZ97 would come first.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
ConradM":n3bbha74 said:
[ Doesn't upset the gun at all. Unlike my SR9..when it breaks the front sight moves unless I'm gripping it perfectly.

+1 :!:

This, Conrad, was one of the reasons I sold my SR9. None of my other handguns jump off target during dry firing at trigger release. A combination of the heavy release and long overtravel maybe? Even the nasty G-gun stays dead on when it breaks. (had to put that in just for you :lol: )

kscott

Single-Sixer
My SR9 trigger is honestly not like that. I don't at all consider myself a great shot but I can keep my front sight completely still during and after the trigger squeeze.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
People are all a little bit different. We all find or gravitate to what we deem to work best for ourselves.

It is in the trying to gain the majority in agreement that we make a mistake.

tk

ConradM

Blackhawk
kscott":1xgekvdt said:
My SR9 trigger is honestly not like that. I don't at all consider myself a great shot but I can keep my front sight completely still during and after the trigger squeeze.

What grip do you use? Interlock your thumbs or both thumbs forward? I used to shoot weaver with my thumbs interlocked and my off-hand index finger on the trigger guard... With that grip, accuracy wasn't an issue... I'm now shooting isosceles with both thumbs forward and my off-hand rotated forward. I understand this to be the proper IPSC stance. With this grip it's much harder to keep the front still. But whenever I dry-fire an XD, 1911 or even a Glock it stays perfectly still.

ConradM

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ":2qapmdqg said:
ConradM":2qapmdqg said:
[ Doesn't upset the gun at all. Unlike my SR9..when it breaks the front sight moves unless I'm gripping it perfectly.

+1 :!:

This, Conrad, was one of the reasons I sold my SR9. None of my other handguns jump off target during dry firing at trigger release. A combination of the heavy release and long overtravel maybe? Even the nasty G-gun stays dead on when it breaks. (had to put that in just for you :lol: )

I think so. Oh and don't get me wrong. I know the Glocknasty is a good shooter. :p

kscott

Single-Sixer
I use both thumbs forward with my weak hand rotated forward too. That's interesting though, I'd like to find someone else with a SR9 so I can compare triggers. Mine's never been gritty, just a little squishy, but its got a pretty clean break. hmm... wish I had a trigger pull measuring "thang." 8) That'd at least give me an idea of how heavy compared to others.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
revhigh":2zdwvlc0 said:
He's really into the whole black plastic tactical thing. Holsters strapped to his thigh and M.O.L.L.E. vests and all that crap LOL. He comes to the range dressed like that and we all kind of giggle at him, because he's this big heavy round kinda guy with 5.11 tactical pants and stuff. We don't giggle too loud though because he really is a good guy and we all like him. Others at the range aren;t so subtle.

REV
You know Tactical Ted! He showed up at a Defensive Pistol clinic/shoot at my range once. All 350lbs of him stuffed into bicycle, er, "tactcial" shorts and kneepads, with Surefire and Leatherman clipped to a Wilderness Instructor's belt, a one-hand opening knife clipped to his pocket, and more ballistic nylon on him than I've ever seen in one place.

I figure guys like that are just doing their version of Cowboy Action Shooting; It's just that they grew up with Rambo/Arnold/Bruce rather than westerns. The real problem is some of them take themselves seriously...

-- Sam

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yup, Tactical Ted !!!

I like all that gear too, and if I was going into the woods for a few weeks, I would buy it and use it, but to use it at the range when your car is 15 feet away is a bit much. My tactical gear is sneakers, jeans, and a t-shirt LOL.

REV

Spikess

Bearcat
revhigh":9lipmbt9 said:
Yup, Tactical Ted !!!

I like all that gear too, and if I was going into the woods for a few weeks, I would buy it and use it, but to use it at the range when your car is 15 feet away is a bit much. My tactical gear is sneakers, jeans, and a t-shirt LOL.

REV

My high-speed ACU underwear is made by "Blackwater". :lol:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hey Spikess

Did you know that 5.11 sells SOCKS ??? My buddy said he was surprised there wasn't a built in ankle holster in them LOL.

Just saw them yesterday at an indoor range near me. I think they were $15 per pair.

BTW, I have a Dog named Spike .... 15 pounds of Chihuahua mix terror. He is very cool.

REV

I have two XD's, a 5" tactical, and a 3.5" sub-compact. I really like them, especially the sub-compact. In fact I might end up selling the 5" because I don't shoot it anymore since getting the sub. At the annual NRA convention two years ago, Dave Williams (Head gunsmith at Springfield) showed me some XD's he had worked over. The triggers were incredible. I am thinking of having the tactical package they offer done to my 3.5". I have yet to have either XD have a failure of any kind. I shot over 500 rounds through the tactical when I first got it w/o any cleaning and without a hitch.

I sold my SR-9 to my brother when I got my 2nd XD. A couple of times the slide would stop just short of battery when shooting. It did this both before and after sending it back for the recall. It was properly cleaned and lubed when it did this. Never had any jams with it. It was one of the first ones, and I kept the knife that came with it.

Mike J

Hunter
Rev, I was looking at those I think about a year ago. They were on the LA Police Gear website. My wife noticed them. They were on sale but still too expensive. I couldn't care less about the mall ninja stuff but I work construction & good boots & socks make a big difference in how I feel at the end of the day.

Bud33

Bearcat
I have an XD9SC and the trigger is reasonable for a SD weapon...
I wouldn't want to shoot bullseye with it but other than that, It isn't bad... There at least two shops that specialize in improving trigger pulls. Both shorting them and lightening them.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Bud33":1mwv6j38 said:
I have an XD9SC and the trigger is reasonable for a SD weapon...
I wouldn't want to shoot bullseye with it but other than that, It isn't bad... There at least two shops that specialize in improving trigger pulls. Both shorting them and lightening them.

Self defense weapons are just that. Anyone can learn a trigger and get good with it if they want to.

You can even get good enough to start shooting matches with it. It takes time ammo and practice.

Every modern handgun has advantages over those that were used in the past and burning black powder. Or do they?

There is no perfect handgun for anyone but me LOL !!!! :D

tk