So I'm feeding my lifelong addiction as a New Vaquero owner.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ThreeInchGP100

Bearcat
Well for a long time now I've been jonesin' for yet another Ruger wheelgun... seriously I have a wholesome fetish for these things it's just terrible... and no this won't be the last.

So about last year I hatched a plan to shove my few spare sheckles into a sock purse until I had enough to scratch the itch.

I have a predilection for revolvers, stainless steel and big fat slow bullets coming out of a (relatively) heavy gun. I also wanted a Ruger single action so bad. I want to reload eventually, right now I actually have a 550B sitting in a corner and nowhere to properly set it up. I even have SASS aspirations, but that's just not a game I can really play right now. Some day.

It was difficult to decide between the 4.75" (yes I know it's not actually four and three quarters but that's how I think of it in my mind) and the five and half inch barrel. Yeah I know Steve McQueen wouldn't be caught dead with such a short barrel, but what can you do? I like what I like.

Oh and I agonized over the chambering. I already have .357. I'm not set up to reload and .45 LC is expensive over the counter. But dang it, there weren't no .357s at the OK Corral!

Long story shortened, I have a 4-5/8" New Vaquero in stainless steel chambered for .45 LC on the way. Price was very fair, nothing to brag about but hey, I supported my local merchant of death and was reasonably close to bargain basement internet prices.

I guess really the only answer is I need to get another one of these so I'll have the matching pair, and then start over again with the blued ones, and then I'll want a .357, and then I'll want 5.5" barrels... Oy.

That ain't the half of it... need not only a second pistola, but the matching lever action, an 1897 pump gun, and the dies and whatnot... This will take years, and I'll get distracted with lots of things in the meantime.

Crack is cheaper. But I reckon it's the journey, not the destination.

Worst part is, this is my Xmas present. Don't ask. I'll have plenty of opportunity to get after it with some Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish and cotton rags. About 13 sessions ought to do it...

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
Great choice. You'll like the .45 Colt, even moreso when you start reloading. Until you get a dedicated place to get the 550B set up you could get a small single stage or turret press, and stick it on a small, portable workstand. Don't need much, just something more sturdy than a card table.

And the .45 Colt lever actions are fun, too. I have a Rossi 92.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
And to a case of Rugeritis!
Don't worry,, you'll get the Vaquero's you yearn for,, and maybe a few you didn't think of as time goes by. And,, no,, crack isn't cheaper,, and the Vaqueros will outlast ANY high crack could give you.
BTW; you'll need 44 mags,, & a few others to make that collection grow properly!

claydoctor

Bearcat
If it wouldn't upset Steve McQueen too much, check out a .45 Montado. I don't care much for the short barreled Storekeeper guns but that Monatdo with the 4in. barrel and the lowered hammer is a real piece of work. I just love the way mine feels in my hand.

Olsherm

Blackhawk
I have a matching pair of "New Vaquero's) polished stainless,factory engraved,faux ivory gunfighter grips,consecutive serial numbers,walnut case to keep them in. 45 Colt caliber UUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMM! wish I knew how to post pictures. However, some one might "drool" on them and I would have to clean them up. HA I wish they had the Montado hammers in them. I really love the feel of the Montado.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
ThreeInchGP, your story mirrors mine very closely. There's something about Ruger single action revolvers, especially the stainless ones, and most of all those in a caliber starting with 4. Many of us are powerless to resist them, and we just collect them compulsively. Not "collect" meaning purchase as investments or curiosities, seeking out the rare, valuable, or interesting specimens. (Actually, those types are here too, but I doubt most of us are that way.) I'm talking about "collect" as in buying multiple copies even though we have no real need for them, and focusing on what we can afford when the itch gets bad, regardless of its value or condition.

Welcome.

Frank V

Single-Sixer
I kind of have the itch to turn a SS .45 NV into a 3" Sheriff's Model. Remove the ejector, EJ housing, & the hole in the frame it sits in, reset the front sight & wow. I think it'd be a great carry gun
Maybe someday.
Frank

claydoctor

Bearcat
KWYJIBO":318gjjtf said:
ThreeInchGP, your story mirrors mine very closely. There's something about Ruger single action revolvers, especially the stainless ones, and most of all those in a caliber starting with 4. Many of us are powerless to resist them, and we just collect them compulsively. Not "collect" meaning purchase as investments or curiosities, seeking out the rare, valuable, or interesting specimens. (Actually, those types are here too, but I doubt most of us are that way.) I'm talking about "collect" as in buying multiple copies even though we have no real need for them, and focusing on what we can afford when the itch gets bad, regardless of its value or condition.

Welcome.
I read something recently that hit home. The writer said there are 3 types of gun owners, shooters, collectors and then there are "accumulators". Never thought about it that way before but I believe I fit the last category.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Very true. I would be an accumulator. I don't even shoot very much. I reload ammo, and I love to go shooting when I get the chance. More than anything, though, I like reading about guns, talking about guns, handling them, buying them, and just having them around me. I know that might make me a poser alongside some. I revere you fellas who shoot every week and can knock the ear off a flea from 50 paces. I shoot every year and can usually hit a barn if I'm inside it. But I love my guns.

Sometimes I wonder whether I'd be willing to trade my whole collection for 2 or 3 versatile guns, 30,000 rounds of ammo, and a lifetime range pass. The practical side of me might like that idea, but I don't think I could do it. I'll probably keep accumulating.

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
After a bout with a Short Colt then a Thunderer, I found a Montago
in 45Colt and loved it....so much I found a 357mag, but the balance
was off with the extra steel so I removed some,,,
by way of Horvath to 41mag!!!!!