So I Messed Up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
So we are doing pretty well this year. Paying down debt & a bit ahead of things. My wife told me to buy myself a gun for Christmas. I decided to order a 3rd generation G-19 clone that is made by Palmetto State armory. Nothing expensive or fancy but it should work.

I ordered it last week but didn't receive a tracking number E-mail when they said it had shipped which I thought odd. Last night looking at the ,"my account tab on their page I was looking at my order & realized there is another tab there that shows the tracking number. Clicked on the number & the pistol was delivered to the FFL on the 22nd. Then I looked at my spam folder & realized the PSA E-mail with the tracking etc. was in there. I guess I got tired of them trying to sell me stuff after my last purchase & marked them as spam.

So today I called the FFL to see if they were open. No one answered. I drove by just to be sure. Yep, they are closed. There was also a sign in the window saying the place is under new ownership. I had been using them for transfers for several years because they are inexpensive & knew they had the place up for sale but it has been for a long time. In the past I've made a call to verify things with them before I ordered but this time I got lazy. Now I don't know what the transfer is going to cost either. Hope it hasn't gone up too much. I guess I got a little too comfortable & didn't do my due diligence. I guess I'll find out what the deal is Monday afternoon after work.

jlmtr6

Bearcat
Good luck with the transfer, but you may have used up all your luck when you got married.
Merry Christmas!

gunzo

Buckeye
Holidays......... a trying time to order, anything, much less something that could wait.

Maybe it will all work out in a few days.

woodsy

Blackhawk
For the benefit of some, you should tell what the name of the FFL is. Unless they correct the problem.

Snake45

Hawkeye
"Something illegal"? I don't see any crime here yet. They got in a gun they don't know anything about. If you're lucky they haven't sold it out from under you (and it SHOULD have come in with your name on it somewhere, shouldn't it have?). Probably the worst thing will happen is that the transfer fee might be higher than you're used to, but hey, prices have gone up on EVERYTHING. :?

I'd call first thing Monday morning to "check in" on the deal. Don't take the chance they might put it in the case and it will get sold. Sort it out as soon as possible.

And hey, go into it with the attitude that "Here's a chance to make one or more new friends." I think it'll all work out for you. Merry Christmas! :wink:

Mike J

Hunter
I don't think they will do anything illegal. The FFL is in a True Value hardware store. The prior owner seemed to be more interested in guns, doing gunsmith work & transfers than he was in hardware. I liked the old guy. He was in his 80's & if you caught him in a good mood he would stand & talk guns with you. He said he was in the Army Marksmanship Unit when he served. His Dad was a Georgia State Patrol that had raised him shooting. I enjoyed it when he chose to talk.

I had been using him & his wife for transfers for about the last 8 years. I thought about calling but their FFL popped up as on file with PSA so I assumed everything was as it had been. The only guns I recall seeing for sale there were used though he did sell ammunition. I'm pretty sure everything will be okay. I may just have to pay a higher transfer fee. I always thought the $10 they did it for was a great deal. I'm just annoyed with me that I didn't realize ownership had changed & I missed the tracking E-mails. I haven't done a transfer since around this time last year when I bought a Buckmark Camper. I got into a rush & didn't handle my business as I should have.

Not sure how the transfer will work with the change in ownership.... real bummer but as with all this kind of stuff you need to just be patient. (sp?) I know it won't help but I did the same thing last year... ordered a gun from a place in Oregon and waited for a notice that it had been shipped... their web sight said it would normally be 6 to 8 weeks to ship..... after two months I finally got in contact with the place in Oregon... the damn gun had been shipped the week after I ordered it and the email letting me know had gone in my spam file and I had never seen it. Then my FFL never called me... which was odd but they were kind of busy... when I walked in the woman I usually worked with at the counter said she was wondering when I would show up. good things take time.... (not sure that applies to a Glunk clone, but thanks for supporting the S.C. economy.

Snake45 said:
"Something illegal"? I don't see any crime here yet.

Neither do I, Snake. My point was, and remains, that we will not be posting any names of anyone unless and until something illegal were proven . . . if then. :?

Mike J

Hunter
blume357 said:
Not sure how the transfer will work with the change in ownership.... real bummer but as with all this kind of stuff you need to just be patient. (sp?) I know it won't help but I did the same thing last year... ordered a gun from a place in Oregon and waited for a notice that it had been shipped... their web sight said it would normally be 6 to 8 weeks to ship..... after two months I finally got in contact with the place in Oregon... the damn gun had been shipped the week after I ordered it and the email letting me know had gone in my spam file and I had never seen it. Then my FFL never called me... which was odd but they were kind of busy... when I walked in the woman I usually worked with at the counter said she was wondering when I would show up. good things take time.... (not sure that applies to a Glunk clone, but thanks for supporting the S.C. economy.

I chose it for a couple of reasons. I've always leaned towards .40 or .45 for mid-sized, full sized guns & 9mm for subcompacts, micros. The way things have been going with ammunition availability I wanted to get a mid-sized 9. Whether Glocks are our favorite guns or not they & their magazines & parts, are everywhere, easy to find & relatively inexpensive. I'm not planning on changing carry guns but I think this will be something good to have around just in case.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one the Spam folder messed up. I guess I got tired of getting E-mails from them after my last purchase from them. PSA has always been good to go for me. I built an AR from one of their rifle kits & blemished lowers. It has been fine.

contender

Ruger Guru
Due to the weird nature of computers,, I check my spam filters every day. I occasionally find one that shouldn't be in there,, and move it. And by checking it daily,, I'm able to delete it daily,, so it doesn't build up.

Once they open back up,, I'm sure you'll get it all figured out.

Mike J

Hunter
Made it by there today. Long story short. I met the new owners & picked up the gun. The charge for a transfer went up from $10 to $15. Still better than the average cost most places I believe. I was just annoyed at myself for missing the E-mail & not doing my homework as well as I should have.

Below is a picture of my cheap Glock knock off. I am going to have to ask y'all to be tolerant though as somehow or other the picture uploaded upside down. I'll figure out how to straighten it out if I can. Not really a good pic. I'm going to need to take a better one.

Mike J

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
So . . . a happy ending, or at least a successful transaction. :mrgreen:

I will probably use them again. They were nice enough & what they charge for a transfer is not unreasonable. They are a little further away than some but that is offset by their price. I bought a hammer handle while I was there today. If I like someone I will try to use their services when possible.

contender

Ruger Guru
Considering that you made the mistakes,, and the new owners apparently took good care of you,, I'd become a more frequent customer. It lets them know they are doing a good job.

And congrats on everything working out as it should.

In reality a good deal and I'm glad it worked out amazingly easy... $15 for the transfer is a deal man..... I talk down Glocks too much... just don't like the look and am not comfortable with carrying striker fired.... but I like it in competition and such. The hyporocy of me being a Glock critique is I actually bought 3 this year. I wish I had known about PSA clones... I would have probably gone that way. I ordered and picked up an AR-15 lower built by them about two years ago..(actually and "Angry Joe AR-14"). my only complaint is at their store you have to fill out the ATF form on a computer console and it took me like 20 minutes or more to navigate through it.... takes me about 2 minutes to do it on paper at my regular FFL. Once you know the first answer is YES and the rest NO... it is easy.

Here was the Year end bonus from my company.... it's just the slide with red dot... not the pistol.

Mike J

Hunter
Blume I've always kinda wanted a Sig P-series. I was looking at them hard a couple of years ago when the law enforcement trade ins were available at reasonable prices. Thing is I would probably still carry an inexpensive striker gun. I do need to shoot one sometime. They are neat.

Latest posts