Snap Caps?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

keyston44

Bearcat
I only use them for storage on guns that don't have external hammers. I like to keep the firing pins relaxed when I store my guns. I don't dry fire my guns (even tho I know it doesn't hurt them). like rifles, shotguns and 22's. Key

kscott

Single-Sixer
I mainly use them for shooting drills. My buddy and I load each others magazines and throw in a couple snap caps randomly. It really humbles ya the first time you hit one that your not expecting. They're great for
that drill and also for tap rack bang drills. The key is to not know where they are in the mag.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Having broken not just one but several centerfire handgun firing pins by dry-firing, I will now not dry-fire any of my CF pistols except 1911s without snap caps.

It's easy to make your own. Just knock the primer out of a fired case and fill the primer pocket with either the eraser from a common pencil, or a silicone caulk such as GE Silicone II. Note that having just a fired case with a fired primer in it provides NO protection whatsoever.

In rimfires, I don't snap them often, but when I do, I use a fired case, rotating it to a fresh spot every two to four hits. SOME rimfires are safe to snap empty (notably, Ruger's autopistols and the 10/22) but as a general rule it's best to NOT snap rimfires empty.