Snakes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Midas11

Sergent
kaohun blue viper
306737282_1137147980221109_3161371708574497935_n.jpg

ronto

Single-Sixer
Cat do that better, You obviously never had snake in your farms. They bit your cows and gulp as much chicken eggs as they can which is bad for business.
I have a big King Snake that hangs around my barn every year. I haven't seen a Copperhead since. Cats may do a better job at rodent control but I'd like to see a cat take on a Copperhead.:)

Woodtroll

Bearcat

Now THAT would startle you at face level in the woods! He's probably not, but he certainly looks POed. And that color!

For what it's worth, my guess that the snake in the first post is that it's a juvenile black rat snake, as others have already suggested. The young ones sometimes have pretty bold markings:

Mike J

Hunter
I have a big King Snake that hangs around my barn every year. I haven't seen a Copperhead since. Cats may do a better job at rodent control but I'd like to see a cat take on a Copperhead.:)

For several years after I moved here there was a big black snake that hung around the area. I walked out one day & my neighbor called me over to show me the snake he had killed. It was the big black snake. I asked him what kind of snake he thought it was. He said he didn't know but it was a big one.
Started finding copperheads not too long after that. I don't mind constrictors but I don't tolerate copperheads.

ronto

Single-Sixer
For several years after I moved here there was a big black snake that hung around the area. I walked out one day & my neighbor called me over to show me the snake he had killed. It was the big black snake. I asked him what kind of snake he thought it was. He said he didn't know but it was a big one.
Started finding copperheads not too long after that. I don't mind constrictors but I don't tolerate copperheads.
It would be a good idea to educate your neighbor that most snakes are beneficial especially those that kill venomous snakes.

NewRuger41

Bearcat
Can one of you snake aficionados help me identify this critter. While relocating leaves from around the house I came across this one. Now I've encountered all kinds of copper-heads and black snakes here in my woods but nothing that has ever looked like this. It doesn't have the viper shaped head so I assumed it wasn't poisonous. Anyway it didn't bite me when I relocated it to a rotten stump away form the house. It's been really cold here in eastern GA for the past several days I was surprised to find it out on the rocks under one of the decks.

View attachment 11108 View attachment 11109

That is a beautiful black rat snake. Helping keep your rodents in check. As well as birds. Good one to have around. Look up next time in woods. Might catch one up above ya. (Warmer weather of course). Here are 2 males vying for a female's attention.

Attachments

• 20221124_220452.jpg
    20221124_220452.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221124_220511.jpg
    20221124_220511.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 21

Midas11

Sergent
My wife agrees. When she was about 12 she lived on a ranch outside of Paso Robles. Her dog got bit by a rattle snake when it got between the snake and her little brother. Calls to mom and vet said nothing could be done - shoot the dog. She did.
I don't some here have had any encounter with venomous snakes, it only take a few minutes

Midas11

Sergent
Rattlesnake bites aren't a death sentence these days, especially for dogs. There is a vaccine that while it doesn't preclude the need for treatment extends the treatment window and lessens the damage.
What about the availability of the vaccine ?

caryc

Hawkeye
Rattlesnake bites aren't a death sentence these days, especially for dogs. There is a vaccine that while it doesn't preclude the need for treatment extends the treatment window and lessens the damage.
My nephew had his dog treated with that vaccine. Lucky that he did. His dog came limping home one day with an obvious swollen up paw bearing the two fang bite marks. He immediately took the dog to a vet which treated the dog and he recovered just fine. I highly recommend it.

Latest posts