Snakes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hunter
@JPGLSG1234 Stay 2 steps away. Take 2 steps back. Take 2 steps around. I’m guessing it’s something along those lines.

484C79A9-52C5-4B33-8C7A-04D362AAC774.jpeg

I don’t mind snakes. I appreciate the good they do. I’m not afraid of them.

But I don’t like to hold them. It was all I could do to put on a brave face and pick this one up to show my son there was nothing to be afraid of.

Last edited:

RC44Mag

Bearcat
What's a two step snake ?
It was a tongue in cheek reference to this critter in Vietnam that many troops who humped there talked about.

Last edited:
It was a tongue in cheek reference to his critter in Vietnam that many troops who humped there talked about.
Oh you brought back some memories for sure, I remember the ground pounders talking about those snakes. I was happy in the air....

Midas11

Sergent
Just wondering why? Snakes are interesting creatures if "snake haters" would take a little time to get to understand them.
You say interesting, I say misunderstood. I guess because i was bitten by one as a child and was very close to death.

Midas11

Sergent
Snakes benefit us by keeping rat and mice populations in control since these rodents can multiply rapidly spreading disease and destroying stores of food. Some species of snakes like the King Snake kill venomous snakes that could harm us....I LOVE SNAKES!
Cat do that better, You obviously never had snake in your farms. They bit your cows and gulp as much chicken eggs as they can which is bad for business.

Mike J

Hunter
The cool thing about this thread is not one person freaked out with, "It's a copper headed rattle moccasin. It has to die." Everyone here is pretty level headed. Of course, this isn't the local area F-book group.

John in WYO

Bearcat
Looks like a migratory baby Python to me.
They have them in Florida,right?
Hey, I can guess like everyone else….😎

I dunnowhatitis.

Around my place it's Garters, Blacks and Copperheads. If they aren't where I like them to be I just relocate them. Copperheads I've relocated (via shovel and heavy bag) to a quarry about 3 miles away on the way to my dads house. The others just into the fence row although a couple garters and blacks like the thick growth of ferns that grow in different places in my yard. (I just don't tell Jackie what I do - she HATES snakes - all snakes, good or bad :eek: )

harley08

Single-Sixer
Around my place it's Garters, Blacks and Copperheads. If they aren't where I like them to be I just relocate them. Copperheads I've relocated (via shovel and heavy bag) to a quarry about 3 miles away on the way to my dads house. The others just into the fence row although a couple garters and blacks like the thick growth of ferns that grow in different places in my yard. (I just don't tell Jackie what I do - she HATES snakes - all snakes, good or bad :eek: )
Gators in PA?

This bad boy or many of its relatives has hung around the house all spring and summer. I can't tell you the countless times my sweet Wife has been startled and pissed at me that I won't get rid of it. Its life has been in jeopardy many times....It's a good 5 feet or longer and he seems to be eating well.
Killer black snake FullSizeR.jpg
Killer black snake IMG_1820.jpg

caryc

Hawkeye
People that hate snakes don't need any reason, just like (you know who) haters.

RC44Mag

Bearcat
This bad boy or many of its relatives has hung around the house all spring and summer. I can't tell you the countless times my sweet Wife has been startled and pissed at me that I won't get rid of it. Its life has been in jeopardy many times....It's a good 5 feet or longer and he seems to be eating well. View attachment 11160 View attachment 11161
Caught and kept a black racer for a pet when I lived in Florida, beautiful creatures. Also had two Pygmy Rattlesnakes as pets down there also. Caught a big yellow rat snake, tiny ring necks as well. I was always looking for an Eastern Diamondback but didn’t come across one in the time I lived there. I released them all fat and healthy when I left the state in the early 90‘s.

It all started when I was a kid in the 3rd grade walking to school in NY I snatched an Eastern Milk Snake booking across the path we were walking on. Since then snakes were my passion. I’ve had two boa constrictors and a Burmese python and even a retic for a while but he was untamable. he wacked me numerous times. Traded him in for a friendlier model.

I've moved on from the hobby but still appreciate the reptiles for what they are. Ive heard all the explanations of why some shoot or hack the heads off them but there are other ways to deal with them. Whatever.

Last edited: