Snakes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Can one of you snake aficionados help me identify this critter. While relocating leaves from around the house I came across this one. Now I've encountered all kinds of copper-heads and black snakes here in my woods but nothing that has ever looked like this. It doesn't have the viper shaped head so I assumed it wasn't poisonous. Anyway it didn't bite me when I relocated it to a rotten stump away form the house. It's been really cold here in eastern GA for the past several days I was surprised to find it out on the rocks under one of the decks.

Winter snake IMG_2116.jpg
Winter snake IMG_2117.jpg

Last edited:

ronto

Buckeye
The only venomous land snake in North America without a viper head is the Coral Snake. The one in your picture has the markings of an Eastern King Snake. They eat Copperheads so they are very beneficial critters.

Last edited:

TestEngineer

Bearcat
Had no idea that GA had so many kinds of snakes. Found a website with pics of 45 kinds. The closest match would be a brown water snake. But again, I'm no expert on snakes.

Well that could be true 1800 feet away is the river and the end of my property line along with the beaver pond. I looked at all the photos on the website as well but nothing seemed to match.

My Wife said it looked like the Anaconda-Python-Boa Constrictor that attacked her earlier this year in her flower pot garden :oops: .

The A Team

Bearcat
I agree with the above comments that it is non venomous. The round eyes and lack of triangular head are signs that it is a regular snake.

Latest posts