Snake Question for Contender and others.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
I think the biggest green snake I've ever seen was maybe about 24"-30" long when I was a kid. The grown-ups found it when we were doing yard work. They showed it to us & let it go.

I'm not in Florida but a while back I saw someone post a picture of a large boa constrictor in their yard asking if it was someone's pet. I leave non-poisonous snakes be though I have killed several copperheads here but if I see an 8 foot plus long non-native species of snake crawling across my yard it is going to die. I don't care if it is a constrictor or not.

contender

Ruger Guru
Fun stuff.

Anybody else notice that the black snake picture that blume posted shows an adult black snake,, yet,, it still has a small amount of it's (born with) pattern?
I've seen them solid black as short as roughly 18 inches,, and still showing some pattern WELL into their adulthood. Just like that one.

Paul B

Buckeye
I probably could come up with a few snake stores but one of my favorites is this one. First off, I'm not afraid of snakes. If they leave me be, then I leave them be and that includes the venomous variety.

Back in the 80's, my youngest daughter had a pet bull snake. She kept it in an aquarium tank the a screened lid I made with a 5 pound block of lead to keep the snake in the tank. He was one hell of an escape artist until I added the lead block.

So, one day I went to the local pet store to pick up a white rat to feed my daughter's snake. I go in the store and the cute young lady I loved to flirt with it up on the counter all freaked out. Looking around I ask what's the matter and she says the boa constrictor is loose. I ask her where the snake is and she points it out to me and I walk over and sure enough, he's out of his tank. Time to freak out the young lady I guess because she screamed when I picked the snake up and the first thing it did was coil around my middle. I put him back in his tank and replaced the lid. She thanked me and didn't charge me for the mouse.

I asked her how did he snake get out and she said some punks came in and took the lid off the tank. This lid is screened and has four latches to keep it in place on the tank

FWIW, that wasn't my first ride with a Boa. I dated a woman who kept a 6' Boa as a pet. First date was an experience to remember.
Paul B.

contender

Ruger Guru
Another "copperhead" call today.

Apparently, a young man was in a crawl space,, saw (2) snakes, and freaked out. Then running out. Swearing they were copperheads. The lady called me,, and I explained how it was most likely juvie black snakes. She went back, took a picture,, and yep,, juvie black snake.
I politely told her to tell this young man to "Grow up & learn the differences if he was going to do HVAC work."

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
I'm pretty proud of my wife. Yesterday I was in the pole barn moving my motorcycle and she calmly asked me to be careful not to step on the snake curled up under it. Beautiful big garter (legitimately four feet long 😉) . I nudged it with my toe and it just moved partway up onto my shoe and parked. Had to pick it up to move it so I wouldn't step on it or roll the bike over it. If I didn't know better, I'd think the ones on our property know that neither the dog nor we bear them any ill will...they're borderline friendly.

Latest posts